PDA

View Full Version : Engine Pre-lube

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

blmk9999
02-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Is there any reason you could not use an external electric pump and tap into the milodon external oil system (or something similar, I happen to use the milodon system). The electric pump is manually operated, sucks oil from an existing line right out of the pan, once you have pressure, start the engine and kill the electric pump. Someone could probably create an add on to the amc ignition so that this was an automatic process. Turn the ignition key, electric pump kicks on, oil pressure rises to 20lbs, then the starter kicks in, electric pump kicks off, engine starts and runs on engine oil pump. I'd buy this!

Thanks,

Mark

Mudrat
02-21-2004, 11:00 PM
That's a great idea :t:
Especially since 80% of engine wear occurs at startup!! Beats pulling the old distributor and cranking with a screwdriver :wink: - Or in the new computer controlled vehicles (like my dodge) :lo1l:
Mudrat :mrgreen:

Rocky
02-22-2004, 03:50 AM
An electric pump will draw down battery amperage in getting oil up to pressure. Right before cranking the starter is usually not the best time to put an extra load on the battery.
I like the "stored energy" type of systems. Engine horsepower is stored in the form of compressed air, so re-pressurizing the system places no extra demands on any of the vehicle's other systems.

blmk9999
02-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Couldn't you use an electric pump that used a transformer and only drew 1.5A or less? Low voltage / low amperage, should be less than starting the car with the radio or interior lights on.

Any ideas? If this is possible, can someone on this forum build it?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mudrat
02-22-2004, 06:26 PM
OK, this is interesting. I've seen or read about some systems out there so I started "Googling"...
http://www.race2001.com/auto-Engine/44.htm#2
But this is an expensive option at "Regular Price: $349.99"

More info...with additional links...
http://dodgeram.org/ki4cy/preluber/Preluber.htm

thigh19
01-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Morosso makes an accumulator that does that same thing. about $150-200

Mudrat
01-11-2005, 11:13 AM
WOW!!!! Eleven months between posts!! Wonder if that's a record :-|

Thanks Thigh, this is one of the reasons I didn't close this one. There is still interest in ways to keep the motor frome wearing out and we know that start up is a killer - as is MC when he has his foot in it :t: 8) :razz:

I'll have to look up the Morosso part and see what it looks like.

TTFN

thigh19
01-11-2005, 06:38 PM
The Morosso Acumulator comes in either 1 1/2 or 3 qt. Manual or electric valve.

thigh19
01-12-2005, 01:34 AM
Right now there's about 8 of them on eBay

blmk9999
01-12-2005, 07:23 AM
The one thing the accumulator will not do and was part of my thoughts in my original post, was the ability to continue to cycle oil through the engine to assis in cooling. The oil between the crank and the bearings probably boils after the engine is shut off normally. The accumulator could help with this, but then there is nothing to pre-lube the engine with. Maybe we can change the topic to pre and post lube. I'd still buy one.

Thanks,

Mark

Mudrat
01-12-2005, 09:41 AM
The one thing the accumulator will not do and was part of my thoughts in my original post, was the ability to continue to cycle oil through the engine to assis in cooling. The oil between the crank and the bearings probably boils after the engine is shut off normally. The accumulator could help with this, but then there is nothing to pre-lube the engine with. Maybe we can change the topic to pre and post lube. I'd still buy one.

Thanks,
Mark
Good thought - install 2 of them with button actuated solinoids (for remote operation without a handle) a green button for starting and a red one for shut down??? At $59 on Ebay (for the 1.5 qt units) it's not that expensive. You could use the same supply and return lines but different solinoids.

Mudrat

Bulltear Ad