PDA

View Full Version : front end or drivetrain problem?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

lisa
02-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Okay guys,
My first real question. :lo1l: Here goes the "it is making THIS kind of noise/vibration" question.
At speeds less than 40, whether on decelleration or a turn, I get ONE vibration (one meaning that it does not continue AND that it doesn't happen every time) that feels like I am going over those little speed bumps they have before stop signs. I feel the vibration all the way up the gas pedal and in the steering wheel as well. The sound is just like going over those things as well.
Now I am also getting a loud howling at the high speeds, like right around 50 when I hold that speed. I hear a loud hum as I accelerate, but at 50 when maintaining that speed, it is louder than my MTs! Since I have no carpet, it gets LOUD! :sa:
I did ask my husband about it and he is not sure what it might be either. It does feel like a front end problem, but the idea that it might be my drive shaft keeps niggling me as well.
Any ideas? :idea:

pyagid
02-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Sounds to me it could either be a wheel bearing or a u-joint or a combination of both. Grab the front driveshaft see if there is any play in those u-joints, Look in the knuckles of the axles see if those ujoints look ok. Jack up the front adn see if there is any play in the wheels at all. Then spin each wheel and see if you hear a similiar howling sound at all. At that speed it would probably be very faint

Those are my suggestions for first places to look

Paul

Tigger
02-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Just went through the same thing... it was a wheel hub/bearing assy, takes about 20 mins to change if you have all the tools.. But check the U-joints also before replacing anything.....

Bulltear Ad