PDA

View Full Version : roller rocker/push rod/guide plates

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

diddycj5
02-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Ok, I think that I have found a few reliable manufactures of roller rockers for my 360 rebuild:

Comp Cams: magnum roller rockers: 3/8in stud - require screw in stud & guide plates - dont have roller pivot or polylocks. $145 http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catalogs/106-03/HTML/310.asp
Crane Cams: Aluminum roller rocker: 3/8in stud w/ polylocks - require studs & guideplates. $195. http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=3&prt=106&action=partSpec&partNumber=11746-16
Crane Cams: Aluminum roller rocker: 7/16in stud w/ polylocks - require studs & guideplates. $195. http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=3&prt=106&action=partSpec&partNumber=11747-16

I really am leaning toward the Crane Aluminum Rockers since they have the roller pivot. Not sure between 3/8in and 7/16" studs though. Are there other brands that are comparable in price? I don't really want to spend more than $200 for a set of rocker arms. Most other kits start above $300.

However, I am still wondering about push rods & guide plates. I know that to run guide plates you need to have hardened push rods which shouldn't be too hard to come by. (haven't found anything yet - what length do I need?)

However I have never seen anybody selling AMC guide plates. Who makes them? Are guide plates/hardended pushrods really required for switching to roller rockers? Also, when converting to roller rockers with polylocks, will these fit under the stock, short AMC valve covers? I have seen that Milodon makes tall-chromed valve covers four around $55 and Edelbrock has similar for $48.

fuzz401
03-19-2004, 05:49 PM
ck with him

Just a note. I have both 5/16 and 3/8 guideplates in stock if anyone needs them. The 5/16 are a copy of the AMC plate and the 3/8 are a beefier design. 5/16 are 60.00/set plus 5.00 S&H and the 3/8 are 70.00 +5.00 S&H. Both are laser cut from 10ga steel, heat-treated and black oxide coated. Don Bangs and some other racers can attest to their quality. Also have SST block-offs for early and late choke heat risers on the intake manifold and fuel pump block-offs too. 5.00 ea. plus shipping for block-offs. Located in Eastern Pa. Thanks all. Get a hold of me through my E-mail : roguesc1@icdc.com

crower also makes a stainless rocker to for amc not cheap
look like these and these are 7/16 stud

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/288c33c7.jpg

Gremlin4ever
05-06-2004, 06:14 PM
I have some guide plates made by Isky on my rig, got them from Summit. I have found out that if you can't find it in their catalog, call'em cause they prolly just didn't list them (dang chevys) I have called to get rod bolts and heli wires from MSD that were not in the catalog.

The Isky guide plates are getting cuts from the pushrods and the heat risers don't help on the two center exhaust valves because of the heat risers. I have a set from Performance american style that will be used on the upcoming rebuild, but those heat risers will still be a problem I think not to mention that "sqaure block" that sticks up next to the gasket rail on the intake side. Thinking of grinding that mess off if it is safe to do.

post # 6

diddycj5
05-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Stupid question... Heat Risers near the 2 center exhaust valves?? I am not entirely sure what you are talking about there. I have stipped apart two 360 blocks but didn't pay too much attention in this region.

Thanks for all of the help. I think that my rebuild project my be on hold for a few months since funding was cut short by unexpected costs and the wife....

fuzz401
05-07-2004, 08:03 AM
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/dcbbb7f1.jpg

the port in the middle of the head

jeepsr4ever
05-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Notice the candy apple red intake valley :idea:

fuzz401
05-07-2004, 04:41 PM
and dont forget the little screens too in the holes

Mudrat
05-07-2004, 10:06 PM
OK, I'll play the devils advocate ...
Red - glyptol? Or just paint?
Heat risers? The 2 bumps in the block near the pushrods? They seem to be the only ones close to the rod
Screen doors in a motor ?? U gotta be from PA. Everybody else puts an intake there :shock: :t:

It's a new day and we're still behind in the 4x4 Poll so when you read this click -click and VOTE!!

Mudrat :?:

Gremlin4ever
05-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Under the valve cover, next to the gasket rail in the center on the intake side of the head, the casting is raised so the "original" guide plates have to be cut so they wont twist as to not bind the push rods for the two center exhausts. On the intake push rods there in the center are some "square" bosses or what not that interfear with guide plates as well so the guides need a little trimming. I'm not sure if they're (All AMC V8 heads) all the same or if there might be some heads without these problems. So far all I have seen have'em.

The two center exhaust push rods go through these raised areas (I called them heat risers) and I couldn't use the Isky plates there even though they're a two-piece design with which I don't like because they're hard to get alined (they are universal type).

Since I have no pics (my engine is still running) I appoligize for any misunderstanding I might have caused. But I hope I cleared this up some.

Mudrat
05-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks Gremlin4ever - that's OK, I don't have an 8 cyl? I just couldn't remember what the inside of one looked like :wink: Now if you want to talk straight 6's we can do that!!! As somebody on here keeps reminding me, I'm tjhe last hold out on the 258's :? (only 'cause I have 2 of'm and can't afford the swap yet)

Mudrat
Don't forget to vote ...

Bulltear Ad