PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Oiling

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

XtremeOverKill
02-29-2004, 02:46 PM
The transfer case calls for Automatic Transmission fluid. Ok no problem

It has a drain a re-fil tube.

Has anyone thought about or carried through with making this system, part of the Transmission pumping system. Such that fluid from the Transmission, would get cooled, flitered, go through the trans, and then through the transfer case as well?

This could be done easily through tapping the drain and Fill Plugs could it not??

Maybe even make a resivoir to hold extra Trans fluid???
What are the thoughts?
Supplying the X-fer case with "fresh" cooled and filtered fluid?

jeepsr4ever
02-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Thats not a terrible idea but keep in mind that the T-case's may contaminate the fluid............hmmm but i like your thinking

XtremeOverKill
02-29-2004, 08:26 PM
contimation to the Transmission, from the X-fer case??

What from spinning gears..... would this not be the same comming from the transmission? Thus contamination would be filtered?

I've never taken a X-fer case apart, so I really have no idea if I"d find metal shavings in there or not.

Heck lets try it on something... I'm surprised this hasn't been done before, or if it has, I'm surprised with all the knowledge and it hasn't been done there'd be a big reason as to why.

Barry Kaul
03-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Newer Ford trucks use the same fluid for both tranny and tcase. There is a gasket between them and passages that allow it to flow between.

Pheonix
04-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Are you talking running the cooling lines from your Automatic trans to your X-case?? bad idea, if you do that the X-case would have to be pumped full of fluid to allow a pressurized return back to the Transmission, a X-case full of gear oil will churn the ATF sooo bad that it will cause it to air to get mixed into the oil, causing airration, and since air compresses and doesn't provide any sort of lubrication, your Automatic would never last.
I haven't heard of too many people complaining about thier Transfer cases overheating anyway..... Although later Humvees come with T-case coolers...........

Bulltear Ad