PDA

View Full Version : '73 J4000 pickup $1,000 in Seattle (was daily driver)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

junkyard jim
02-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Since I am getting ready to move soon, I have to start cutting back on my
excess vehicles. As much as I like my J4000, I just don't have the energy to work on it and my '84 J10. My original plans to make this into a tow truck just aren't going to materialize. (no job, no money and soon not enough parking space)

Specs are this:
304 motor with @70,000 miles on it (with 2100 2bbl carb, it came from a
second owner '77 AMX I parted) Currently running Delo 15W40 oil and less
than 1/2 a quart usage/leakage between 4,000 mile changes.

TH400 trans (Unipattern Buick nailhead type with adapter ring. Trans is
getting weak and down shifts from drive to second after about 20 miles of 70mph highway driving. Possibly cleaning out the pan would stop this, but it's lost all it's trans oil 3 times so far. It comes with a spare later model TH400 that worked but may need a front pump)

Borg Warner Quadratrac 1339 with low range (It has the part time kit and I'm 90% sure it has the 16% overdrive as well. Chain is loose and while not slipping yet, it feels like it will soon)

Dana 44 full float closed knuckle stock SOA front axle with 5 bolt on 5.5"
drum brakes and 3.73 gears and manual hubs. (comes with a GM 10 bolt open knuckle SOA front axle with disc brakes and 8 lugs)

Dana 60 full float rear axle 8 lug (3.73 gears and it's from the '76 J20 I had)

Full 1 ton or better springs in the back with a shackle flip (33" tires
don't touch, even with a HUGE load of bricks, tires, etc. I even had two
7.3L IH diesels with EOD autotrans in it last summer)

Front needs a spring helper (I have the part number from Rancho. They cost @$65) when the axle is swapped so front and rear heights match. (No blocks!)

It has power steering, power brakes (I have the booster and master from the '83 Cherokee WT I'm parting)

Gas tank was changed last summer and the gauge actually works! (the others don't but I have some manual ones that can go with. I just never got around to trouble shooting it)

It has a real skookum trailer hitch (Class 4 I think. It's welded/bolted in
with channel steel to the bumper and 4 other points. I had no problem towing a 1/2 loaded 5 ton van with it)

Spare door glass goes with (I was going to change driver's side anyways due to track rot)

I ripped the old carpet out and it has CJ bucket seats that flip forward for
behind seat access. Floor needs some rust work, but it's still pretty solid.
I have the front bumper and rust free front clip from the '83 Cherokee I was going to put on. I also have a sliding rear window I was going to put in.
The box is bunged up with a couple rust holes, but it's still solid. (I loaded an XJ Cherokee on top of it)
The tailgate catches were snapped off when I got it. Still haven't welded them up but the tailgate is in okay shape. I was planning to pull the box for a car ramp or tow deck so I didn't take that great of care of the box. There's other stuff I can't think of at the moment and even though there is a lot of work to do on this rig, it's also a good start.

It requires no emissions in CA for starters and it's been my daily driver for almost a year since I replaced the motor.

Bulltear Ad