PDA

View Full Version : help!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mudgirl
03-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Anyone who reads this and thinks what a dumb broad better watch out before i hunt ya'll down and whoop ya. 8) Ive helped mod trucks before but it's all been me getting distinct instructions on exactly what to put where and doing it... Ive helped my buds build several of their mud trucks and now I want my very own that I put a lot of blood sweat and tears into. My question is, where do I even begin? I know a lot of you probably have some good advice, I know it's gonna take a lot of work and a lot of screwing up but I want to have something ready for NEXT mudseason... help!

ROBERT11
03-01-2004, 10:57 PM
:shock: Decide what you want this truck to do, will it be a daily driver or a purpose built rig. Next decide your budget, Sometimes you can buy someone else's project-ran out of money, wife is tired of looking at it or whatever.

A Mud truck, :!: too many options you have to narrow it to even begin to get good advice.

Does it have to be a Jeep? :-|

Tigger
03-02-2004, 12:10 AM
1) Budget
2) Type Vehicle
3) Single use or Multi purpose (just offroad, DD, Mud only, general all around offroading)

once you get those questions answered then you can move on to the other questions you will have to answer.

mudgirl
03-02-2004, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I suppose it would help if I said what I want it for, mostly mudding. The runs I go to usually have a lil bit of everything but playing in the mud is what I like to do most (thus the name mudgirl). As far as budget- I want to keep it pretty low, I know projects tend to suck in more money than you ever think they will, so Im gonna aim low and know that it will end up costing a lot more. Luckily I have a good friend who has 3 trucks and a lot of spare parts. And no, it does not need to be a jeep. It's not going to be a daily driver at all. If I could keep it street legal, thats great cuz then I dont need a trailer and a truck to haul it all. I've found from prior experience though, the street legal trucks arent as fun though when it comes to getting down and dirty.

Mudrat
03-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I suppose it would help if I said what I want it for, mostly mudding. The runs I go to usually have a lil bit of everything but playing in the mud is what I like to do most (thus the name mudgirl).
Think the project trhough in your head then write it down. The lists above will guide you where to start. First thing to do is have the thought - no matter how baked it may sound, then write it down and start to make a plan of action, then detail that plan based on everything you want it to do - a street legal mudder down here won't fly. We have a tire diam and bumper height law :(: Once you find your base unit to build - Jeep, Pickup, Bronco whatever, you can flesh out the process with how strong you want it to run (drive train and axles), what parts you need and bounce that against your budget and time frame. The fun comes when you get to test drive it!!!

Have I told you before I like that name "Mudrgirl" :? :lo1l:

Hehehehehehe

Mudrat :mrgreen:

Tigger
03-02-2004, 11:23 AM
For mud you need wheel spin for that you need high RPM's and moderate gearing. Wide tires with good lugs (thinking super swamper). What ever you do for a vhicle, I suggest you put in your plan alot of waterproof connectors, budget in money extend all the vent lines in the drivetrain and a winch that most woudd think is overkill because mud causes suction and will make a 6K rig require a 12K tug very easily.

jeepsr4ever
03-02-2004, 04:31 PM
you will want to start with a rig that doesnt require a total drivetrain swap....maybe even something someone started. You will need a motor that can turn those tires and lift kits like body lifts dont even apply when mudding....clearence clearence clearence :mrgreen: And use marine grease whereever it takes grease (waterproof grease!)

mudgirl
03-02-2004, 07:55 PM
wow... lots of things to think about... thanks for all the good advice... so where is a good resource to find already started projects to buy? I got a good buddy scoping for me up north... so im sure all of you are gonna help me with this, right? ha ha we'll see if this one gets farther than my dads 52 ford got... he got it before I can remember and sold it when I was about 10... I remember riding in it around the block once and it didnt have any breaks... It got bondo'd and then the squirrels made it their home. sure hope project motivation isnt genetic!! :!:

Mudrat
06-12-2004, 06:45 PM
wow... lots of things to think about... thanks for all the good advice... so where is a good resource to find already started projects to buy? I got a good buddy scoping for me up north... so im sure all of you are gonna help me with this, right? ha ha we'll see if this one gets farther than my dads 52 ford got... he got it before I can remember and sold it when I was about 10... I remember riding in it around the block once and it didnt have any breaks... It got bondo'd and then the squirrels made it their home. sure hope project motivation isnt genetic!! :!:

Mudgirl - what was the out come??? You building a truck yet or what?!?!?

Mudrat

Bulltear Ad