PDA

View Full Version : Lubing my gine

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Barry Kaul
03-10-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm in the process of building my first AMC v8 and was wondering just how bad the factory oiling is. I'm building a mild 304. Would a valley line be necessary? recommended? What do you think? I'm not planning on turning many rpm. :-|

jeepsr4ever
03-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Youll hear alot on this one but I have to set the record strait

1. when the oiling system is new it is not in need of mods if you dont rev much
2. The oiling system breaks down so fast a valley line should be added
3. Most of your damage occurs with quick acceleration and especially quick acceleration after a moment of high revving where the oil is still moving into the sump area of the pan.
4. The brunt of the damage occurs in the last 2 main bearings
5. You may be able to get away with the minor of the mods by drilling out the last 2 mains and bearings to .339 as instructed in oiling mods heavy duty main modification post.
6. A healthy pump is the best mod you can do and is a neccesary place to start, this includes good gears-proper clearances-and the proper oil filter, to which i suggest using a WIX filter they are a little higher flow that a fram and have better internals.....they are even made by the Dana corporation.

Good luck and let me know if I left anything out

Barry Kaul
03-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I don't want my first AMC build resulting in a heap of scrap. I'll probably be investing in one of your timing cover sets. By the way, when are you going to post pictures and prices for all the items in the products?

jeepsr4ever
03-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Thats a dang good question :-|

Gremlin4ever
05-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Fact: Oil is the life blood of an engine. With that said, my opinion is no matter how an engine is used I think one can't go wrong with the upgrades to the oil system. Better oil flow means longer life and I'm doing all the mods to improve the life of an engine that is getting harder and harder to come by. After all, we're not talking the "big three" here.

post #5

jeepsr4ever
05-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Well put :t:

Bulltear Ad