PDA

View Full Version : ALUMINUM OIL PUMP GEAR KITS

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MADMAX401
03-12-2004, 10:51 AM
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU COULD FABRICATE ALUMINUM OIL PUMP GEARS?I CONTACTED A 30 YEAR AMC ENGINE BUILDER,RACER
AND HE FABRICATES AND USES ALUMINUM OIL PUMP GEARS.
STREET KIT- ALUMINUM REPLACEMENT GEARS-100.00
RACE KIT-BIGGER ALUMINUM GEARS WITH SPACER-200.00
HE SAYS WITH THE KITS,HE CARRIES 70 lb OIL PRESSURE WITH NO DROP BECAUSE THE ALUMINUM GEARS EXPAND WITH THE OIL PUMP HOUSING WHEN THEY HEAT UP.
THE RACE KIT HE SAYS YOU HAVE TO USE A DEEP SUMP OIL PAN BECAUSE OF THE VOLUME OF OIL YOU MOVE WITH THE KIT.
HE ALSO DOES NOT USE THE REAR MAIN OIL LINE KITS.
HE SAYS YOU DON'T NEED IT IF YOU USE THE KITS,AFTER INSTALLING THE KITS HE HAS NEVER HAD ANY BEARING PROBLEMS. :idea:

jeepsr4ever
03-12-2004, 11:20 AM
weve tried that the problem is that the billet aluminum expands twice as fast as the cast and binding occurs. The other issue is that the aluminum gear doesnt last very long with the abrasives carried by the oil. You see the oil gets to the pump before it gets to the gears. Their was a reason teh gears are made out of mild steel. the expansion isnt far off between mild steel and cast aluminum....356 cast aluminum to be exact. I have heard of a guy doing this.....Its not a good idea and doesnt work in a long term situation. I do like your thinking..when we did aluminum gears they were $18.00 each I wonder why he is selling sets for $100....oh well everyone has their profit margin. I would be leary of using aluminum gears in your amc oil pump

Bulltear Ad