PDA

View Full Version : Holley 3 barrel

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

zcode
03-20-2004, 07:10 PM
I have a 71 amx 401 4spd . The car competes mostly in the stock class. I just replaced the original intake with a NOS R4B . I am contemplating using the group 19 carb(3160) I like the Idea of all AMC parts offerings. No one seems to know much about these carbs. I know they are rated at 950 cfm. Would this be to radical for a street car? I do have 4.10s but am considering 3.73 0r 3.54s. I dont think this carb has a pcv tube,were would you connect it? If you are supposed to use the old phenolic spacer with pcv provision then why did Edelbrock notch the manifold? Lastly if I go with a regular Holley what is better a 750 double pumper or a 3310 vac secondary? Thanks Bob

jeepsr4ever
03-20-2004, 08:01 PM
the 3bbl that came stock on some R4B's isnt all that efficient and you would probly get better performance form a 750 edelbrock. But if you are searching for the stock items then its the way to go....but I think they arent worth spit personally

Briteblock
04-09-2004, 08:56 AM
MC they arent that bad! If you tune it right it flows well, they came in a couple different sizes too with one of them over 1000cfm :shock: Thats a 3bbl!!!!! but their are better carbs

ol' school power
10-24-2004, 12:02 PM
I ran the 950 back when it was "new" and liked it. As far as it running on your engine, it depends on how much work was done as far as heads and cam.
I would think that partrs availability is a bit shy as it should be antique status.
Currently I run the 870 Avenger and am happy with it. Personally I like sticking with the vacuum secondary feature and the 870 was the biggest offering. Dual pumpers require a little more tuning finesse and sizing is real important for the application. Too much on an auto equipped car will land you flat on your face with bogging if you don't have enough converter to allow the engine to "spin up" quickly.

jeepsr4ever
10-24-2004, 12:08 PM
I agree on the vaccum secondary :t:

We have a outift called the carb shop up here ran by a retired racer and he really knows his stuff when it comes to carbs. he also prefers the vaccum secondary setups. His rational was that it doesnt force feed the motor. My rational is that it isnt needed for street and mechanical secondaries are only really utilized when your using a very high octane and racing.

Anyone have any photo's of the 3bbl carb?

ol' school power
10-24-2004, 12:14 PM
I'd rather have a little more than what I need with the ability to tune it back through secondary valve opening rates.
Currently the 870 I use it opening as fast as the lightest spring will allow.
I believe that you've seen what I run and it does quite well for what it is.

Briteblock
10-24-2004, 12:21 PM
I do have some pics of that 3bbl around here somewhere... I also believe that it awas used on a 3 carb setup on a rare ford motor.....429?

Briteblock
10-24-2004, 12:21 PM
I do have some pics of that 3bbl around here somewhere... I also believe that it awas used on a 3 carb setup on a rare ford motor.....429?

ol' school power
10-24-2004, 01:37 PM
I don't know of it ever being bolted on from the factory. Closest was the offering by AMC under the group 19. I do remember when it was brought out for NASCAR though.

jeepmonster
11-07-2004, 01:59 PM
The notch on the secondary side of the R4B plenum will work with conventional holley and carter 4 barrels, the notch allows the secondaries to feed the motor on both banks as the mixture is siphoned through when the secondaries open.

ol' school power
11-07-2004, 02:14 PM
The notch was originally there for clearance of the one single butterfly.

Bulltear Ad