PDA

View Full Version : dipstick tube

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

nvrsunk
03-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Just got my remanufactured block back. Ive got everything together except that I cant get the darn dipstick tube to go in!! I ordered a new one from Jeep, and tried with a hammer and open end wrench on the top flange for a good hour before it broke. Couldnt even get the press flares on the tube to go in. Any ideas on what the heck I need to do? So close yet so far away...

jeepsr4ever
03-25-2004, 09:54 AM
here is a good trick for you, use the open end of a line wrench or a regular wrech and push the open end over the tube at the bottom so it touches the collar then tap on teh wrench so the tube snaps into the block. Works everytime.. :mrgreen:

nvrsunk
03-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Thats what I was trying. The dipstick basically has 2 flares and then the collar. I was using I think a 7/16 open end wrench on that collar like you said and tapping on it, but I couldnt even get that first flare to go into the hole. What ended up happening is that the collar got so beat up that it broke. It should be really simple, which is what is pissing me off the most!!

jeepsr4ever
03-25-2004, 10:08 AM
maybe they gave you the wrong tube

JeepAholic
03-27-2004, 11:48 PM
I have had the same problem. Now I use a bench grinder to remove just enough metal to allow the dip stick tube to start in the block but still fit snug. I also apply a small amount of sealer. :sa:

Rocky
03-28-2004, 04:15 AM
There's a tool made to install dipstick tubes. It allows a relatively straight transfer of force to the tube, and gives it some suport.
They don't cost much.

Pheonix
04-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I also had the same problem, did they paint the block? if so take a bore brush (out of a gun cleaning kit) and clean the hole going into the block, then apply a little bit of oil, push the tube in while rotating it. I broke one using a end wrench then i tried this method and it worked good and never leaked, unfortunately i have other problems that aren't so easy to solve....................

Bulltear Ad