PDA

View Full Version : Maineye bushing

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pitjeep
03-30-2004, 09:22 PM
need ideas getting frose maineye bushings out of springs I cant even turn bolts in the rear the sleves are frose to the rubber infront & probally rear too . I,m putting in polly this weekend i,ve already done the shackle ends they wern,t to bad the maineyes are giving me a fit

jeepsr4ever
03-30-2004, 09:34 PM
take a regular screwdriver and hit it with a hammer one one side down the edge of the eye and it will knock out the other bushing

Tigger
03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
You can use a cutting wheel between the hangar and the bushing and cut it loose then pull it out and tap out the rest of the bushing, make sure you prime & paint hangar afterwards to prevent rust.

Lifted79CJ7
04-01-2004, 11:51 PM
I used a big flat head screw driver and squished it between the spring and bushing. Then I would just hammer it in there to break the seal. I did this several times all the way around and kept spraying Valvoline lube in it and finally it came out....took a while though.

Rocky
04-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Press. Appropriate sized socket and BFH. Cut from within w/ hacksaw and press out w/ either of the first two techniques.

Mudrat
04-08-2004, 05:25 PM
I used a big flat head screw driver and squished it between the spring and bushing. Then I would just hammer it in there to break the seal. I did this several times all the way around and kept spraying Valvoline lube in it and finally it came out....took a while though.

Rob tore up 2 of my chisles :smile: Had to take 1/4 off them to get an edge back!!
Roger on the press. The 20 ton shop press I have is what finally got Rob's apart after norking the crap outta the sleeves so we wouldn't keep pressing the socket in the eye. Had to use sockets, don;'t have the right sized press pins!!

Mudrat

ROBERT11
04-08-2004, 05:58 PM
#-o , Pain in the a$$. Lot's of hammer work will encourage most anything.

jeepsr4ever
04-09-2004, 12:12 AM
:mrgreen: dangit anyways :mrgreen:

Lifted79CJ7
04-11-2004, 07:28 PM
As a last resort, you could always just torch it out. Couple bad things here;
1) Not so enviromentally friendly.
2) Stinks to high heaven and creates a TON of smoke. :shock:
3) Stinks to high heaven! :!:
4) Not sure what heating the spring up like that will do to its inherent properties / brittleness, but I am sure its very close to welding on one. :-|
I only saw a friend do this once and personally don't recommend it.
Jack

Bulltear Ad