PDA

View Full Version : Dana 44 axle swap

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

diddycj5
04-02-2004, 11:56 AM
my 15yr brother-in-law bought a scout and a traveller and is parting out the scout. It has the rare AWD auto tranny combo with flanged front hubs. The axles are D44's with 3.73 gear ratios.

My '74 jeep has D44 rear and D30 front. They are both NT axles, but I have already upgrades the D30 with Scout D44 disc brakes and flip tie-rod kit.

I think that I can buy the pair from him for $100 complete. The brakes look shot (not a big deal). The only reason I am considering getting these axles is price, WT and having D44 front/rear for switching to lockers. I would likely sit on the axles for a few years before getting around to doing anything with them. (If I decide to use them at all)

I know that the scout D44 has 0 caster, and would likely cut/reweld the tubes before using it. I am also considering moving the spring perches outboard the frame to give the jeep a bit more stability. Having front/rear D44 makes locker selection easier since D30/D44 have different carrier size splits around the 3.73/4.11 gear ratios I would be considering.

How much stronger is the D44 than the D30. At this point, if I snapped a D30 axle I would either get a cheap used one or stick with the D30 and get high-strength warn or equiv. I doubt that I will ever go bigger than 35" tires with the current lift, (although I like the idea of someday going to coilover-link suspension $$).

What considerations am I missing?? Is it worth the $100 to get the pair of axles and sit on them?

Lifted79CJ7
04-03-2004, 01:43 AM
Yeah, thats a great deal. Even if you decide not to use them, you can turn around and sell them down the road for $400 or $500. Can't beat a set of axles for $100! :!:

Dusty
04-29-2004, 05:15 PM
CJ5

Flip tie rod kit? I just swapped on scout knuckles and i can see I have tie rod issues in my future, not to mention drag link and pitman arm clearance issues all because of thier knuckles.

Do you have a picture of your setup. I havent had time yet to start looking at mine closely as i know it will be a day's worth of screwing around, if i could see what yours looks like and how it works it will give me a place to start thinking from.

As to the axle strength the D44 bigger inner axle diameter and 30 spline count, larger R&P therefore less carrier failure problems. I used to spit pinions out of my 30 when ever i was backing up in a tight position, ussually at an idle or just off, not at full power. the 44 shares the same outers as a 30 and ujoints, get good ujoints and highquality outers (once you break the stockers) and you should have a pretty bullet proof setup.

Thanks

D

Bulltear Ad