PDA

View Full Version : jeepsr4ever! Please Help! Steering Colum wiring question 83

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

iqsr2
04-05-2004, 08:02 AM
On my 83 wagoneer SJ there is a light brown (tan)/green wire; basicly a tan wire sort of like a speaker wire with a green stripe down one. Coming out of the ignition switch mounted on the colum just above the break pedal and appears to be going up steering colum. It was cut by previous owner and I am trying to figure out what it is and if I sould reconnect it. :smile: Does this wire have anything to do with back up lights, mine are not working right now. any help appreciated.

jeepsr4ever
04-05-2004, 09:22 AM
83 you say..hmm do you have a haynes or chiltons? I dont have one right now for a FSJ and i am not up to date on the column wiring, engine yes but column no....although it would very easy to track that wire down if you had a manual, brown with green...almost sounds like a little light power source for the auto shift tower

iqsr2
04-05-2004, 09:32 AM
#-o I do have both the haynes and chilton, but I am not sure which Diagram I should be looking at they are very confusing to me. I am sory for the newbie question. But I am just that a newbie. I have only owned this wagoneer for 13 day and I am trying to learn as i go.

Thanks for your quick reply it is hard to get people to reply on the other boards. :t:

jeepsr4ever
04-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Your electronics diagram reads from back of vehicle to front. you just need to find the proper year or years for your rig. If you read it carefully you will start to understand how the wiring is layed out, its rather simple just looks like a pain when you look at it first glance. If you look at the diagram for teh egnine you will see markers like )alternator( and )coil( same goes for the steering solumn and radio....and such. Probly just need to take a little time with the diagram and you will figure it out just fine, Good luck and let me know if i can help you anymore...ok

mrtazwrench
04-05-2004, 11:21 AM
did they have key buzzers, could be that.

iqsr2
04-05-2004, 01:09 PM
I think your right on the mark. :lo1l: I hooked it back up and it did buzz when the door was open9 did not blow up!! lol). i gues the origional owner got tired of it and cut the wire.

Thanks for your help!!
It is greatly appreciated :mrgreen:

jeep.xj.4x4
04-05-2004, 01:20 PM
I think your right on the mark. :lo1l: I hooked it back up and it did buzz when the door was open9 did not blow up!! lol). i gues the origional owner got tired of it and cut the wire.

Thanks for your help!!
It is greatly appreciated :mrgreen:Glad to see this forum helped your problem. :mrgreen: :wink:

mrtazwrench
04-07-2004, 11:29 AM
i've cut those wires on just a few vehicles.

jeepsr4ever
04-07-2004, 11:57 AM
I absolutely hate those buzzers

Barry Kaul
04-07-2004, 11:04 PM
I hav three pf those buzzers from my three previous vehicles in my tool box if anyone is looking for one.

jeepsr4ever
04-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Thanks barry maybe i will hook them up to my neighbors car :mrgreen:

Barry Kaul
04-08-2004, 10:30 AM
As I was writing that I was thinking the same thing! Hook it up to a key on power source, that would anyone crazy.

Bulltear Ad