PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting linkage on a selec-trac!!!!!!!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

iqsr2
04-06-2004, 09:16 PM
When I try to engage my four wheel drive with the range lever in my 83 wagoneer the handle moves very easy (it has way too much upward travel). Like it is not connected. The transmission was rebuilt when owned by prior owner. It had rotted vaccum lines so the transfer case was not being used. The previous owner stated that there were no metal shavings when fluid was changed in it after tranny overhaul. I climbed under it and when I tried to move the linkage by hand. it looked like the range lever had way to much paly in it ( when it was moved it did not move the linkage attached to transfer case). I don't think they tried to adjust it when tranny was done due to rotten vaccum lines. I think the range lever linkage needs to be shortened so it has more leverage when pulled up to activate the four wheel drive. My question is how do I do this. There could possibly be one morre problem. Will the transfer case not work if the vaccum accuator motor mounted on it does not move the mode lever. to allow it to go into four wheel drive.

TIA

jeepsr4ever
04-07-2004, 08:11 AM
It is my experience with those tcases that if your lines are disrupted you juat wont be able to get out of the current gear. Sounds like it was shifter very hard and he wore the linkage, I would be inclined to take the linkage off and try to mend it, thats probly why he rebuilt it in the first place

iqsr2
04-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Problem almost solved :mrgreen: . jeepsr4ever if you were here I would kiss you full on the mouth (just kidding) THANK YOU VERY MUCH. You are a friggin genius!!!!!!!!!!!! The linkage was all bent to hell. I pulled it apart and worked the mode shifter by hand. I was able to get the mode linkage to move and lock the axle up at the transfer case. I straightened out the rangge lever shifter and added a few washers to tighten up the linkage at the connecting points, put it back together and was able to shift through all ranges 2hi, neutral 4hi. I still have a vacum problem but i am convinced that my transfer case is ok. I will replace all vacum lines and check valves and hopefully the vacum accuator on the transfer case and axle are good. I am confident that once I fix the vacum system that it will work like a champ.

Thanks again jeepsr4ever your the man :lo1l: !!!!!!!!!

jeepsr4ever
04-07-2004, 05:53 PM
just glad everything came together

Hey remember the A-team "I love it when a plan comes together"

:t:

iqsr2
04-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Thank you again for yor knowledge :sa: .!! Yea I was a big A-Team fan. Don't go to far I am sure I will have some more questions :wink: .

Bulltear Ad