PDA

View Full Version : Propane

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

bigun
04-09-2004, 01:01 AM
what are the pros and cons of converting to propane :?

jeepsr4ever
04-09-2004, 08:06 AM
you can run at strange angles
the set up is spendy
your engine runs cleaner
you need to place a large tank in your vehicle
finding a supplier of propane can be tough in some areas

bigun
04-09-2004, 08:57 AM
yah I had heard that in the proscess of building so buddy and I kicking around all the ideas we can at this time. We figured now is the time to throw all the ideas out once we get the body off . We'll do the exhaust and twin stick the D20 then go from there.

Briteblock
04-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Their is a place in canada that sells conversion kits and here is a link to a outfit in illinois

http://www.hendrixsystems.com/

Briteblock
04-09-2004, 09:04 AM
What would happen if everyone went to propane?

We would use our crappy performer carbs and motorcraft carbs as door stops and mantlepiece conversational pieces........maybe even a museum entry or motor hall of fame.......... :wink:

ok ok too much time on my hands

mrtazwrench
04-09-2004, 11:44 AM
saw a thing a while ago, i think on the history channel or something like that, a guy was running his scout on old fryer greese, he had to put a fuel tank heater in for winter and the exhaust smelled like frenchfries. 111!!!

bigun
04-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Try this for burning french fry oil www.greasel.com
:wink: :wink:

Lifted79CJ7
04-11-2004, 05:42 PM
I like that geasel.com site. Pretty fun reading. I liked that write up on the "Biggie Mac".
Jack

Mudrat
04-22-2004, 06:27 PM
My sister wants to try that in her Caddy????

Mudrat

OzJeeper
04-28-2004, 05:52 AM
"propane" or LPG as we call it is a wonderfull invention. We have 5 Jeeps in the family - only two don't run on LPG cause the Wrangler hasn't the room and we haven't gotten around to converting the XJ just yet.
As the FSJ is a thirsty beast and petrol cost us about 99.9c per Litre the LPG conversion is worthwhile. LPG is expensive right now at .39.5 cpl.

While there is a small drop in performance due to a lower octane rating, the saving in fuel cost is well worth it. Doing a trip from Victoria to Queensland (three days there, 5 days relaxing and 3 days back) saves about $700.00 in fuel cost alone.
One thing is that we have LPG in most service stations in the populated areas. It's quite common - and LPG is really a waste product in most cases. It's clean and cheap and you can't flood the engine on steep inclines...

Most vehicles converted to LPG run as "dual fuel" that is on LPG and petrol. The FSJ runs twin petrol tanks and twin LPG tanks giving a total fuel load of 280 litres of fuel and being a thirsty beast, I need that amount to get me too and from some of my destinations with safety.
My CJ10 (what is that I hear you say?) runs the standard 70litre tank and another 80 litre LPG and is more than sufficient for the 253 V8 it runs.
The ZJ Laredo runs an 80 litre LPG tank and a side tanks of 50 litres -and that gets me enough distance...

The family saves about 60% in fuel bills over a year running LPG and when you realize we sell the stuff to Japan for .4c a litre and import it from Europe for .16c per litre, then you realize just how cheap it is - well, in Australia anyhow..

And - repeat - and, has NO greenhouse emissions like petrol.....but petrol is so darn cheap in the USA - why change to LPG - no value for money, thats why....

I look forward to some of your responses.... :wink:

Mudrat
04-28-2004, 10:25 AM
First off Oz - Welcome to Bulltear!!

Interesting info and I'm still doing the math :roll: Litres and US gallons are not a problem. Figuring out if they are $AUD or $US for the cost convertions? Assuming Austrailian dollars (AUD), today that is: 1 US Dollar = 1.36101 Australian Dollar, I think the differences are about double.

As the FSJ is a thirsty beast and petrol cost us about 99.9c per Litre the LPG conversion is worthwhile. LPG is expensive right now at .39.5 cpl.
$.999 AUD per litre is about $3.75 per gallon.

As for petrol being cheaper here - well it used to be more so. Our national average now is around $1.90 (US) per gal or $.50 (US) per liter - or $.36 (AUD) per liter.

What kind of economy are you getting from your LPG vehicles? You said the savings was about $700 between Victoria and Queensland and back. THAT sounds quite impressive!!!

Thanks!! Pat

p.s. And this is part of world economics I never could understand:

when you realize we sell the stuff to Japan for .4c a litre (and import it from Europe for .16c per litre, then you realize just how cheap it is - well, in Australia anyhow..

OzJeeper
04-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Because of the difference in octane rating, you lose about 10% in horsepower. With the 360 it's realy not noticiable but I do notice the difference when towing something with the ZJ. Most times there - if it's short distance - I switch back to petrol.

Yep - you got the figures about right. LPG for us is about 1/3 the price of petrol and that's taxed to the max as well! There is no real advantage in converting to LPG if petrol (gas) is similar in price. You have to travel many miles to re-coup the cost of the conversion in fuel price.
Otherwise its an exercise in not having the car starve/stall on steep climbs or decents. LPG is magic for that!

We have squillions of litres of LPG sitting under the ocean off-shore in Victoria but in New South Wales they import it! And to keep things "fair" the price at the pump is based on that import price. Why they don't import it from Victoria is beyond me - weird!

The $700 difference is running on LPG compared to running on petrol. Trip is about 3000km round trip.

I'm looking at doing a Cape York trip in a few months. Meeting up with some other clubies from up that way. It's a two week round trip and thats after the 4 day drive to meet them in Cairns. With those sorts of drive times, you can see why I like to keep fuel prices down....

Mudrat
04-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Oz -

The $700 difference is running on LPG compared to running on petrol. Trip is about 3000km round trip.

That is a significant savings - and 3000km (1333 mi) would get me from Norfolk to Moab -one way :wink: :shock: so twice that with an estimated 30% savings (petrol//LPG is really significant!!! (petrol @ 1.90 gal, LPG? lets see, $13 for 8.9Kilos or 20 LBS???)

Still a thought. Thanks for the input and insight!! Wonder if I could run my Hemi on it 111!!!

Pat

dhawker
05-10-2004, 09:45 PM
One of the other advantages of propane is that you can remove all the pollution control equipment if you're not running dual fuel. Since propane is pressurized and enters your manifold as a cold gas it gives you alot of the advantages and I'm told it eliminates the need for 4 barrel manifold (stock one is fine). I run strictly propane and am in the process of doing a rebuilt to maximize my motor for propane to recover the power loss due to being designed for gasoline use. Propane ideally should have stainless valves and hardened valve seats. Propane engines can run alot higher compression without engine detonation easily 10.5:1 (due to octane rating of approx. 105). Open an engine that runs strictly propane after 100k miles and it looks new. Oil stays almost perfectly clean (still needs to be changed though). Also you really simplify your vehicle by removing gas tank, catalytic converter, no fuel pump, air pump, air injection on exhaust manifold, pollution control devices, charcoal canister, no need for EGR valve, etc.

Mudrat
05-11-2004, 05:23 AM
I'd be interested in reading and watching your rebuild for this. Feel like doing a story on it? The only issue I see is the availability of LPG service stations.

The only place I know of near me is U-Haul and they have to weight the tank as they fill it?!

Thanks

Mudrat

dhawker
05-11-2004, 07:01 PM
I will definitely take pictures as I go but we might have to wait awhile. I am considering using Edelbrock's new aluminum heads but they will not be available until June. Depends on how the cost vs. benefit ratio works out. I want to increase my compression ratio but forged pistons seem to be the only way (without milling my head down). Edelbrock claims that their new heads increase stock compression to 9.5:1 by a reduced camber size using the stock pistons. They also come complete with stainless valves, hardened seats, rocker studs and guide plates (I want to use roller rockers anyway). I assume the weight reduction of the heads will add a couple of ponies to the engine as well. I will let you know when I am ready to go.

Dalan

mrtazwrench
05-11-2004, 07:19 PM
gas just went to $1.99 here i may have to think about this, i have a propane tank at home i should see if i could set up to fill off of that. :-|

Mudrat
05-11-2004, 07:25 PM
gas just went to $1.99 here i may have to think about this, i have a propane tank at home i should see if i could set up to fill off of that. :-|
Now Thats a thought??!? Wonder if there are restictions with home propane vs road fuel like there is between farm diesel and road diesel? I don't think the red dye would make a difference in a gas :wink:
But then we get to on-raod refills - like from here to Moab??

Mudrat

mrtazwrench
05-11-2004, 07:31 PM
i'm not sure on that either, but i think farmers around here are on a different program for it than home owners are. i'm thinking of doing it to my daily driver, it aready gets around 35mpg, wonder what it would do on propane. :-|

Mudrat
05-11-2004, 07:47 PM
35 MPG?!?!?!?! Whaddaya got a Ricer?? :shock:

i'm not sure on that either, but i think farmers around here are on a different program for it than home owners are. i'm thinking of doing it to my daily driver, it aready gets around 35mpg, wonder what it would do on propane. :-|

bigun
05-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Try this link you can also go to KOAs and if you look you can find most towns have a local propane dealer that can fill you up

http://www.flyingj.com/fuel/gasoline_CF.cfm?state=ALL
:wink: :wink: :wink: :idea: :idea: :idea:

OzJeeper
05-12-2004, 05:37 AM
All very interesting. Seems you guys are going the opposite to what I have, that is, dual fuel. Running LPG on an injected motor is by far the best result because you have dual tuning and the computer quickly works out the best running curve for it.
You still need to run the vehicle on petrol (one tank petrol for every 4 of LPG) so the injectors don't gum up.
No advantage in taking of the cat as it won't add to the HP one bit on LPG.

With dual fuel you have the advantage of greater range with a better fuel load...

mrtazwrench
05-12-2004, 08:25 PM
35 MPG?!?!?!?! Whaddaya got a Ricer?? :shock:

yea it's a ricer :oops: i was a toyota dealer tech for 3 years, guy came in with this old corolla, tras had loose diff, leaked gear oil, didn't want to fix, so i got it cheap, ran it like that for a year and found a used trans for $100, doubble the fuel mileage of the old 77 chev i had before it. i had a best mpg of 44 once, still don't beleve it though, put a header and a cai on it it's not fast but with the manual trans it has acceptable acelleration for a little 1.6 motor. the dual fuel thing may work better since it's an injected motor.

Mudrat
05-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I may have to go that way too. With 60 miles a day and 14MPG in the truck around town, it's getting $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to feed the beast!!

Mudrat

mrtazwrench
05-12-2004, 09:00 PM
yea that's why i don't drive the wag much.

bigun
05-12-2004, 11:12 PM
yea I am seriously considering turning daily driver in to duel fuel my one way is 75 each day at about 12 mpg if you shop around you can get gas for $1.80 but I am seeing $1.95 around town :!: :!: :!:

OzJeeper
05-13-2004, 08:48 AM
On the right track here - if you can't do anything about how thirsty the beast is, reduce the price of the drinks!

My full size uses 23litres per 100 kilometers which becomes expensive to run when petrol here has hit A$1.05 per/litre. LPG has moved up slightly to .39c per/litre but it's still within the budget.

60 miles is about 100 kilometers. Interesting to see what economy you get over that distance. Should be about 18 litres/100 kilometers which is not bad figures for a 360 - not at all.

If you convert to dual fuel you will save heaps over a year in fuel costs.

thigh19
05-24-2004, 11:45 PM
I rebuilt my CJ from the ground up and decided to convert the Chev 229 v6 to propane. My cost was about $800 in used parts from a used forklift dealer, including tanks.

A Canadian friend of mine who ran propane up north told me that because my motor was an origional gas motor, fuel milage would go down a little and the top end of the HP range would drop. Not to worried about that cause I plan on rock crawling, my final drive being 80:1.

He also told me that if the motor would have been built for propane, both HP and MPG would increase?

Pretty easy swap, just need to figure out how to plumb my BBQ.

Mudrat
05-28-2004, 06:52 PM
He also told me that if the motor would have been built for propane, both HP and MPG would increase?

Pretty easy swap, just need to figure out how to plumb my BBQ.
If it was RE-built for propane, why would the milage go down?

Solution for the B-B-Q, shoot the squirrels that eat the regulator and hoses - and have them "over" for dinner :? (I'm on my third regulator 'cause they keep chewing on the diaphragm :t:

Mudrat

ironroad 32
06-02-2004, 03:47 PM
hey mud i'd like tocheck out your propane setup ,i've been thinking about doing duel fuel ,but didn't have anyone local to talk to about it.

Mudrat
06-02-2004, 05:16 PM
hey mud i'd like tocheck out your propane setup ,i've been thinking about doing duel fuel ,but didn't have anyone local to talk to about it.
Iron - I don't have one yet - except on my BBQ. I'm trying to gather info myself to see it it will work for me.

I think Thigh19 was whom you may be asking about...

Mudrat

ironroad 32
06-02-2004, 06:45 PM
ohh..lol i misread your post..lol

bigun
06-06-2004, 03:23 PM
I picked up used 100 gallon tank yesterday for $130.00 total as of right now in parts I have $260.00

Woody Long
01-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Their is a place in canada that sells conversion kits and here is a link to a outfit in illinois

Do you have a company name or website for he Canuck company?

Mudrat
01-20-2005, 10:12 AM

I'm still kicking this dog, suggested a smal scale conversion to my dad (our emergency generators) and the Hendrix is bouncing mail :smile: Anyother suggestions?

THX
Mudrat

Mudrat
02-05-2005, 07:40 PM

Well it took 3 weeks but got an answer ...
"All HENDRIX INDUSTRIAL GASTRUX conversion kits are completely assembled and include everything you will need to convert your vehicle to dual fuel,you will be able to switch from an alternate fuel to gasoline. These kits are designed and engineered to fit a specific vehicle. NOT A BOX OF PARTS.
$1465.00 to for a complete propane (LPG) conversion kit less tank. Tanks cost $500.00 to $700.00 depending on size and mounting location.
$2300.00 to for a complete compressed natural gas (CNG) conversion kit less tank. Tanks cost $1500.00 to $1800.00.
If your vehicle is not computer controlled subtract $200.00.
Domestic cars and trucks only.
Installation cost around $1500.00
If you live in Illinois the state will reimburse you 80% of the cost of the conversion up to $4000.00.
Thank you Todd Hendrix
847-526-1700"

x2see
04-03-2005, 09:37 AM
here is a couple of places I've been looking at http://www.gotpropane.com/p1.html http://www.propaneguy.com/

FSJer
07-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Actually there is a drop in power of about 10-15% when used in a duel fuel . Why ? Gas or petrol is a totally different fuel to LPG ( propane ) , when you get your car converted to LPG in duel fuel, your engine is set up for Gas/petrol and not LPG , you need a different ignition system ( Hotter spark ) and need to have your distributor recurved to suit , different plugs , camshaft , etc to gain maximum efficiency.

In actual fact if you ran 2 systems side by side - gas to LPG , you'd have a similar output & in some cases actually more HP than with Gas/peterol.LPG has an average octane rating of 110 , but less compressional force as gas/petrol. LPG is a bit like methanol , you can run a higher compression , more timing without the fear of pinging / pinking but you don't need as much fuel like methanol . LPG is a clean fuel and in most states in Australia you don't need the emissions system in your car. cleaner engine bay.

In Australia, LPG is very popular , there are different manufacturers here other than IMPCO , Gas research in victoria is an company that has their own kits , they are mainly based on the performance side , they have LPG mixers & carbys , tanks , solennoids, dual LPG carb kits for high peformance V8's , supercharged vehicles , etc, etc.

Actually my project FSJ i am building now will have Gas research twin carbys and mixers on it & be set up entirely for LPG.

Mudrat
07-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Actually there is a drop in power of about 10-15% when used in a duel fuel . Why ? Gas or petrol is a totally different fuel to LPG ( propane ) , when you get your car converted to LPG in duel fuel, your engine is set up for Gas/petrol and not LPG , you need a different ignition system ( Hotter spark ) and need to have your distributor recurved to suit , different plugs , camshaft , etc to gain maximum efficiency.

In actual fact if you ran 2 systems side by side - gas to LPG , you'd have a similar output & in some cases actually more HP than with Gas/peterol.LPG has an average octane rating of 110 , but less compressional force as gas/petrol. LPG is a bit like methanol , you can run a higher compression , more timing without the fear of pinging / pinking but you don't need as much fuel like methanol . LPG is a clean fuel and in most states in Australia you don't need the emissions system in your car. cleaner engine bay.

In Australia, LPG is very popular , there are different manufacturers here other than IMPCO , Gas research in victoria is an company that has their own kits , they are mainly based on the performance side , they have LPG mixers & carbys , tanks , solennoids, dual LPG carb kits for high peformance V8's , supercharged vehicles , etc, etc.

Actually my project FSJ i am building now will have Gas research twin carbys and mixers on it & be set up entirely for LPG.
Thanks FSJer, We Americans are a bit behind in the alternative fuel area. But I've heard if we convert to propane we get a tax break and get to dump a lot of the emissions as well. I'm still looking at this option. But unlike Australia, we don't have many propane filling stations for vehicles yet.

Pat

FSJer
07-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Nearly all cabs/ taxi's in Australia run LPG ,i think it is similar in the USA aswell ( have to check that ), also alot of high performance diesol 's nowadays run Propane ,well about 15-20 % , the rest 80-85 % diesol, you find alot with diesol trucks and the like , that when the diesol fuel is compressed inside the engine & Burnt and comes out the exhaust , not all all of the fuel is burn't , thats why you see alot smoke coming out of their pipes , LPG once injected inside the cylinder (compressed & burnt ) completes the burn process to a alot higher degree (also LPG is a really cold fuel) and produces more power , actually alot more efficient to run a LPG/Propane in your diesol.

Have to find that website with all the information where i learnt all this from>>>

j vegas
07-23-2005, 07:41 AM
http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/infrastructure/locator.html

I'm planning on making this conversion also, and I came across this site at some point in my research. It doesn't seem to know about truck stops(Flying J's,etc.).

Hey Mudrat, I'm new to the tidewater area, and unfortunately there does not seem to be many fueling stations, besides pricey U-hauls, anywhere near Va Beach.

Jared

bigun
07-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Ok for those of you who havn't followed my build up here it is
http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3945

Ok here is the after action report
Propane system preformed well only problems I had were running out with out having transfer hose made before trip. second problem not really prob. but observation Do not buy propane from anywhere but propane supplier if you can avoid it!!!! The highst price I paid at supplier was $1.82 a gallon, gas station in Ouray was $2.53 then to add insult to injury they added sales tax on top of road tax. I got lazy intead of looking for supplier I took the easy wayand went to the station. Never take off on trip with out spending time tuning system Truck was only road worthy the day before I left, What I didn't know was buddie who helped me with the truck had left system on full rich so fuel milage was in the single didgets. With it set like that I was able to maintain 70 MPH with only half throttle on the way back with it leaned out I was able to reach 70 MPH only with foot flat on the floor hard which led to knee hurting pretty bad after a while a hand throttle on stick shift would have helped here. Trail performance unfortunatly because of excessive consuntion on the way up I was only able to do one trail but I only had one weird problem coming down making a hard right turn it died I blamed it on the propane system but I am unsure as after I got it restarted I didn't have anymore problems. The only problem I had coming home is when I stopped to fill up at dealer tank was so hot from combo.of ambit temp. and 3.5 inch exhaust running under tank that I had to use their water hose and the lst of my water jug ice to cool it down so propane would flow in, it was at this time that I found leak at the guage. As of right now I am happy with propane for power in trail rig for a street truck I don't know. If I was driving it as a comuter Ie to work and back I would rent a big propane tank with wet kit for the house and fill my self.

FSJer
07-25-2005, 03:55 AM
It's like anything , takes a little while to work. like buying a new TV and trying work out how to tune the bloody thing in & all the buttons.

What system are you running and on what engine sixe , etc ? are you running the popular IMPCO system ? what mixer & convertor do you have??

The warmer your Propane tank gets , the more pressure there is inside the tank.Its like a nitrous bottle , how some people warm them , just to hold a higher pressure in the bottle ( i would'nt try to warm the propane tank. I will find that site all about LPG ( propane ) tonight , keep forgetting .

bigun
07-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I am using the top part of a duel fuel! Engine is a 360 with 2 barrel carb. I was going to use an Impco carb I had bought till I found out the air cleaner housing was $120.. My buddies dad had the air cleaner setup so we used it. Like you say it is a learning experince LOL my problem I wasn't worried because my buddie was going to go on the trip so I was counting on him to keep everything working. But at the last minute he backed out and left me with little knowledge on how it worked.

FSJer
07-27-2005, 04:34 AM
finally found the site from when i printed it out awhile , heaps of information for people looking to convert.

www.propanecarbs.com/home.html

( Alternative Fuels technology's, Inc )

have fun
Rick

thigh19
09-07-2005, 05:06 PM
F.Y.I. Just got back from running Fordyce, Barrett Lake, and the Rubicon. Propane ran flawlessly. Filled my propane tanks at the S. Lake Tahoe KOA for $2.25 a gallon. Gas in S. Lake Tahoe was $3.29 a gallon. Did notice the topend on the freeway was lacking, but attribute that to the throttle body being too small. To see my Cheepster in action go to http://thigh190.tripod.com or www.brush-busters.com Tough trails, but well worth the trip.

Mudrat
10-07-2005, 07:32 PM
F.Y.I. Just got back from running Fordyce, Barrett Lake, and the Rubicon. Propane ran flawlessly. Filled my propane tanks at the S. Lake Tahoe KOA for $2.25 a gallon. Gas in S. Lake Tahoe was $3.29 a gallon. Did notice the topend on the freeway was lacking, but attribute that to the throttle body being too small. To see my Cheepster in action go to http://thigh190.tripod.com or www.brush-busters.com Tough trails, but well worth the trip.
So where the total write up??? :wink:

thigh19
10-07-2005, 08:26 PM
:? How about the Readers Dijest version.
We'll start out on the Barrett Lake trail. I'll start out by saying this should be done as an overnight run. We didn't. Need to have a very capable rig, short wheelbase would be a plus. Not a long trail, but very chalenging through-out. I exploded a Warn Premium hub and one of those Toyota's :roll: broke a drive shaft. Both simple trail fixes, mine with wrenches, the toy with an on-board welder.
Fordyce Trail is a different story. We did plan on this as an overnighter, and could have spent 3 or 4 days if we wanted. I blew another Warn Premium hub, on the same corner, this time I replaced it with a slug. no more problems at that corner. On a side note, kudos to Warn Industries, they backed there product and sent me 2 brand new hubs. I broke my frame, twice with-in 1/2 mile of each other. With an on-board welder, and a couple steel plates off a couple Hi-lift jacks parts fisch plated to the side of both breaks, the trip wasn't ruined.
There are 5 mandintory winch hills deamed mandantory by Seira Trek, 8) all rigs made it up them with out using a winch. Did have to winch off a couple bolders not on the hills though. A 12.5 mile trail that truley took 2 days. Between my misfortunes and the other Toyota :roll: also breaking another drive shaft.
Rubicon springs is just a day trip, just a playground for the hardcore. The Pirates blew bolders unto Little Sluice, tough for even a rock buggy now. None of us tried that.
Total carnage for me; #-o
Broken frame in 2 places
bent frame
Blown power steering hose,
blown box
2 blown hubs
lost one brake line
Total carnage for everyone else; :idea:
2 broken drivelines
a ring and pinion
a u-joint
many busted and/or bent shocks
and alot of body damase.
I preferred Moab, but this was an experience that needs to be done, It was a blast. :lo1l:
:t: On A Side Note: These California trails are virtually garbage free. Probably because Serria Trek was the week before, but very impressive. We always haul out as much extra garbade as we can, but couldn't even fill one garbage bag. :t:

Mudrat
10-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Sounds like the motor performed well .... and a great trip!! :t:

thigh19
10-07-2005, 08:59 PM
The motor did preform flawless. :t: Got a little concerned when the engine temp got up to 190 degrees, not. The only problem was the throttle linkage. When the frame broke, the body shifted which made the rpm's go up. Fixed it with a zip tie and a little bailing wire, no duct tape though. :mrgreen:

hot360
01-10-2006, 04:54 AM
hi guy's , lpg runs great on the 360 v-8's.
facts-1-a larger intake manifold is better ie 4- barrel even small single plane intakes work well!
-2-a straight lpg set up will always work better than a duel fuel but you need good compression 9.5/10 to 1 is good, recurved dizzy colder plugs advanced cam timming.
-3-all basic engine rebuild steps help ie. porting/big valve etc.
-4-free flowing exhaust-single 2.5 or bigger
-5-straight gas (once tuned)will run and start smoother!!
-6-lpg loses out slightly on take off but will rev freely without loosing top end(excepting maybe in a racecar!)
-7-lpg will run hot/cold hill/steep hill/upside down etc..........

i'm running an 83 wagoneer amc 360 hi comp heads impco 425 straight lpg carby fitted to a squrebore holley base plate crane 260h cam advance a couple of deg. B-2 converter re-spun dizzy,b/b chev valves port work,approx 9.5 to 1 comp,4-2-1 extractors,

only down side is you use a little more fuel per mile of lpg than petrol!
and the tanks take up a little more room and you cant carry jerry cans!!

i run 2-tanks @approx. 170 liters and get approx 700km's(435miles)approx.i think!! hope this helps(i no its late!)cheers..d.c. :t:

jeepsr4ever
01-10-2006, 06:20 AM
D.C. welcome aboard!! :t: Got any pics of your setup?

hot360
01-10-2006, 06:03 PM
yes, but i don't no how to post them ? i no how to e-mail pics..
any help would be great!! :sa:

Mudrat
01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
yes, but i don't no how to post them ? i no how to e-mail pics..
any help would be great!! :sa:
Can do!! We have a thread just for that as a matter of fact :wink:
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2581

You can use just about any hosting service, but some have bandwidth limits - each time your pictures are viewed they count bits and when it gets to your limit, they stop responding until the next period starts, usually the following month!!!!
Photobucket seems to be the easiest and most used unless you have a bunch of space with your ISP. there are others with free and some that offer more bandwidth for a small fee.

Pat

hot360
01-10-2006, 09:53 PM
ta i'll give it a go on the weekend!! :t:

junkyard jim
01-24-2006, 02:34 AM
All this talk about mythical loss of octane rankles and irks me! :(: First, LPG (in the US and Canada) is about the equivalent to 130 octane. You have to make the motor right to run on LPG. 11:1 compression with 17 degrees of mechanical/vacuum advance combined is pretty common.
My stroker AMC 6 (4.0L block bored 0.030 and 4.2L crank and rods with a shaved head/block combo makes 4.6L of @282 cu in and almost 300 HP with 325 ft/lbs of torque @1800 rpm) is being set up for this. I used to take the Olds perv diesels and convert them back to gas and run LPG in them. You want to run a very mild cam (needs manifold vacuum to run right) and set it for bottom end to mid power range.

willem
01-28-2006, 02:24 PM
this was my set up
right now i have a edelbrock performer manifold
in the netherlands almost everybody drives lpg above 2 liter engines and or high mileage ,its alot cheaper than petrol
we use impco for the big engines

regards willem

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/6632/dsc054777lk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mudrat
01-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Long time no see Willem - I like your set up, but it looks like your adding propane to the top of the air cleaner??? Doesn't piping the propane into the air cleaner give you problems?

Also, were you able to correct your oiling problem??

Pat

hot360
02-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:34 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE-
(All this talk about mythical loss of octane rankles and irks me! First, LPG (in the US and Canada) is about the equivalent to 130 octane )
HI JUNKYARD JIM,just looked @ some lpg facts posted as a link by FSJer. the MOTOR octane rating was only 97 for propane?RESEARCH OCTANE WAS 112?(us)
in australia we used to be able to run 11-1 but i asume due to our higher usage(greed)it is generally accepted that 10-1 is a good comp to run a daily driven performance motor-safely&reliably.a friend of mine is running 11-1 in a f-250 351 clev and has pinging problems under load...
p.s. i'll probably try about 10.4 on my next motor.or lower comp supercharged straight lpg(propane)GO-JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :? :t: :mrgreen:

hot360
02-01-2006, 02:09 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/grafpak/Picture218.jpg

YAHOO IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?:[url]
img]
[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/grafpak/Picture138.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/grafpak/Picture091.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/grafpak/Picture088.jpg
AFTER THESE PHOTO'S I ADDED TWIN THERMO'S (OFF AN AU FORD FALCON 1999 MODEL.)THEN FITTED AND TIDIED HOSES LEADS ETC..THIS PROPANE SET UP IS LPG ONLY(STRAIGHT PROPANE!)MOTOR APPROX-300HP..CHEERS...D.C.http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/grafpak/Picture229.jpg[img]

dan58
02-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Figured I'd bump this thread. I'll be installing a gotpropane.com kit on my 360 in the next week or so. I'm excited. :lo1l: Any suggestions for mounting locations for the propane parts? I have no fenders, so I might be looking at welding a bracket or mounting it on the firewall.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2095513360

And she currently sits like this:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p2b2ee642bf858b8eee0dc73329190782/eaaadc82.jpg

It will be heading to AOI shortly for some new PRP seats and cage work. When I get it back, she'll be getting a silver cage and front hoop, some new gauges, a HS9500i, some 39 red label BFG Krawlers (hopefully).

Mudrat
02-19-2007, 04:42 PM
No fenders??? :shock:

When you get your cage done, have them tie it to the grill guard hoop, and then hand some sheet off it. This will keep teh gunk of the engine and give you a solid mount for the regulator and stuff. :mrgreen:

dan58
02-19-2007, 04:50 PM
No fenders??? :shock:

When you get your cage done, have them tie it to the grill guard hoop, and then hand some sheet off it. This will keep teh gunk of the engine and give you a solid mount for the regulator and stuff. :mrgreen:

No fenders. I'm having the shop run a tube from the hoop to the A pillar. I'm holding out hope that I can put something in there to keep the crud off the engine.

Mudrat
02-20-2007, 10:55 AM
No fenders. I'm having the shop run a tube from the hoop to the A pillar. I'm holding out hope that I can put something in there to keep the crud off the engine.
Should be able to fab up some sheet metal and make a mud-guard without too much effort.

dan58
02-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Should be able to fab up some sheet metal and make a mud-guard without too much effort.

I'm debating that. Might try to use rubber for flexibility. I avoid mud like the plague.

Mudrat
02-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm debating that. Might try to use rubber for flexibility. I avoid mud like the plague.

Rooky :mrgreen:

MUDrat :t:

Riley/MN
08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Figured I'd bump this thread. I'll be installing a kit on my 360 in the next week or so. I'm excited. :lo1l: Any suggestions for mounting locations for the propane parts? I have no fenders, so I might be looking at welding a bracket or mounting it on the firewall.

It will be heading to AOI shortly for some new PRP seats and cage work. When I get it back, she'll be getting a silver cage and front hoop, some new gauges, a HS9500i, some 39 red label BFG Krawlers (hopefully).

Hi all,

Brand new here-Don't even know how I got here, I was doing a job search... :roll:

Anyway, I stumbled across this thread and thought I would ask how the conversion is going (or went). I deleted the links in the quote, but I could not get either to work...

I have a '79 Chief that would love to be back on the road, but I can't afford to drive it.

~Riley

dan58
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Figured I'd bump this thread. I'll be installing a kit on my 360 in the next week or so. I'm excited. :lo1l: Any suggestions for mounting locations for the propane parts? I have no fenders, so I might be looking at welding a bracket or mounting it on the firewall.

Hi all,

Brand new here-Don't even know how I got here, I was doing a job search... :roll:

Anyway, I stumbled across this thread and thought I would ask how the conversion is going (or went). I deleted the links in the quote, but I could not get either to work...

I have a '79 Chief that would love to be back on the road, but I can't afford to drive it.

~Riley

I love it.

Read this thread:
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6683

Riley/MN
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Read this thread:
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6683

Ahh, very cool.

Thanks.

~Riley

Bulltear Ad