PDA

View Full Version : Quadra-trac

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Pheonix
04-10-2004, 09:49 PM
has anyone had luck with the quadra-trac holding up on thier jeeps? I have one and am wondering if i should go with the 4X2 conversion. It looks like it locks the diff inside the transfer, allowing you to put hubs on the front and dissengage them. Only problem is that all the shafts and front still spin, so what savings does that do?

jeepsr4ever
04-10-2004, 11:43 PM
The borg warner t case isnt a bad t-case it just needs proper maintenance like most chain drive T-cases it needs constant lube but it also need to have the chain changed after 100,000mls. To answer your second question, you can put hubs on the front to make it part time however you will cause premature failure of the viscous coupler.....I still dont know why but It is a physical wearing on the coupler

mrtazwrench
04-11-2004, 05:05 PM
my dad had 2 j-20s that had one of these cases, he pulled a gooseneck trailer and haulled a backhoe with for many years. the second one he had blew a chain, but it needed a replace anyway, and i broke it bad when i was 15 driving it around the farm, it took the remains of that one and 2 more to make a good one, now that one has been on plow duty for about 15 years. i think they are fine if you maintain them, and probally run in e-drive if you're doing hard off roading, and if you don't have the lo range, its easy to bolt on, single speed cases suck! :t:

Lifted79CJ7
04-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Like people have already mentioned, as long as you take care of them, they are great. Just make sure to inspect the chain and when changing fluids to put the correct fluid in. Although if you have one that is already acting up and it needs parts, it almost better to just swap it out-parts are a little pricey and can be sometimes hard to find. Bad thing is you have to swap out the tranny or the output shaft on the tranny, as welll as get a centered rear differential. The tranny has the texas bolt pattern (same as a dana 20 i believe), but the output shaft is something strange like 10 inches long and has a 10 spline count. MC is talking about making a dana 20 to TH400 adapter as well.
Jack

rollbar
04-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Don't install the PT kit it will wear out the clutches in the t-case from what I hear.

Pheonix
04-26-2004, 08:19 PM
I tore it apart today to inspect the inside diff and chain. The chain was loose, but the inside diff looks good. What is the best Chain to get, Mile Marker, or the Morse brand?

rollbar
04-26-2004, 08:33 PM
From what I hear the MM chain holds up very good & allot of people use that brand.

Pheonix
04-27-2004, 08:42 PM
upon re-inspection, i found the splines on the cones to be almost stripped, now im screwed... what to do now? The splines on the spider gears are still good, but the ones on the brake cones are just about had. Just when i thought i had everything fixed, now this.......

rollbar
04-27-2004, 08:48 PM
If you want to rebuild it, $$$$$$$$$$$$, IMO, get the adapter & go w/a D-300 or Atlas(more$$$$).

Just my 0.02,
RollBar

P.S. Come to think of it I have a QT.

But it's attached to my 79' CJ7 that's For Sale :?

Pheonix
04-27-2004, 09:22 PM
I have no luck with jeeps, maybe i'll sell mine. First the double cardan joint to the front driveshaft broke($175) and took a piece of the transmission with it, That has now been rewelded , I then rebuilt my engine and the trans was still leaking so i took it out and had it rewelded, well i put it back in with my fresh engine and dang it, it still leaked!! Well things got worse when my engine took out a distributor gear, i replaced that, then it went out again, costing me an entire engine rebuild to find the problem, $1,200 later........... now that i am waiting for my new timing chain cover i decied to find a case for my trans, cant find one, called all salvage yards in south dakota, nope, all crushed old jeeps for steel since it is at about 100 bucks a ton and no parts. I finnaly found one for $250, cost to rebuilt $500, I then decied , hey better get a new chain and gaskets and bearings for the quadratrac while it is out, well that was around $250. Well now i found out that damn thing is shot. I have learned one thing, I am never going to buy a Jeep again.......nothing on this jeep has made it over 85,000 miles.......whats next? my Axles?

jeepsr4ever
04-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Hold the phone.....quit buying parts from J-yards. You got online resources for this kind of stuff right here. We can guide you through it and sell you parts WAY under J-yards even new stuff. a core th400 where were you last year when i had a pile of them 8) Maybe on a trip up there i could bring a good 360 and a decent th400 for under $500

Pheonix
04-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the offer, My 304 is almost done, i am only waiting on ARP rod bolts, and to have my rods reconditioned. As for my Trans, i found a Case for $150. I will find out later today if he has it for sure, and on my quadratrac, i have an idea on a fix..........
The Brake cone and spider gear ride on the same shaft and ride against one another, the spider gear relies on the cone to push it against the other gears. Since my spider gears splines are good and the brake cone ones wearing, i may find a way to weld the two together. What do you guys think? I will put some pics up here soon so you can see what i am getting at.

JMSII
04-28-2004, 11:59 AM
In an earlier post on this thread, somebody said that MC was thinking about making an adapter for the Turbo 400 to a Dana 20. I sure would be interested if he does!

Just my two-cent's worth!

Pheonix
04-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah, then i would have to get a center rear end and a Dana 20 with an adapter and a new output shaft for my TH400, not cheap..........

rollbar
05-01-2004, 08:47 PM
In an earlier post on this thread, somebody said that MC was thinking about making an adapter for the Turbo 400 to a Dana 20. I sure would be interested if he does!

Just my two-cent's worth!

That would be very interesting, I to would look into something of that nature.

RollBar

P.S. Don't mind me, I've been moving ALL day 111!!! , oh darn I have to do it again tomorrow. :(:

Briteblock
05-02-2004, 12:32 PM
like this one?

http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1680

rollbar
05-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Very nice, how $?

I'll look into it as the project progresses.

Renegade360
06-28-2004, 07:14 PM
1. why go with the adaptor to the 20 when a Dana 18 will work just fine.

2. If your cone clutches are toast, you have 4 options.
a. ditch the tcase and swap in an 18
b. weld it and hope it holds.
c. get a part-time kit and don't worry about it any more.
d. buy a couple of quadratracs and using them as donors, piece together a new diff.

I have a part-time kit, And it works great. I also have 3 quadratracs that I have used to piece together one good one. I also have a Dana 18 sitting on the shelf if I ever need it.

Renegade360
06-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Don't install the PT kit it will wear out the clutches in the t-case from what I hear.

Completely untrue. The Part time kit replaces the cone clutches so there are none to wear out. It is a great kit, haven't had any problems with mine in over 4 years of pounding on it with a 360.

On the other hand, If you just put hubs on the front & unlock them, that will smoke a pair of clutches faster than it takes you to go to McDonalds & back.

rollbar
06-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the info & experience, I didn't know that.

Brock
07-29-2004, 10:10 AM
I just finished completely rebuilding a quadratrac this weekend and also installed the parttime kit with a new chain. You use regular ATF fluid, the chain is stout, and the case is pretty strong. The QT was put behind 360 and 401 motors. You won't have any problems other than maybe the vacumm actuator everntually wearing out.

jeepsr4ever
07-29-2004, 10:16 AM
I agree with Brock, it is a stout T-case after all is said and done.

Welcome aboard Brock! :t:

hssss
08-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I have a t400 and quadtrack from a Waggy includes crosmember vacume valve and front driveshaft that I'd sell for 300. I never used them but was told they had about 40k miles, been sitting around forever (project that was aborted), which looks reasonable for thier condition.

Bulltear Ad