PDA

View Full Version : Sleeving the 401 to 4.375" overbore?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Elliott
04-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Does anyone have any experience or know a shop that has sleeved 401 motors?
I'd like to talk to someone who has done the sleeving to determine if sleeving to 4.375" is possible while retaining use of the water cooling as opposed to filling the jacket.
Some I've discussed this with do not believe the AMC block has enough material to support the sleeves and it would not be possible without filling the jacket area.
I've built wet sleeve blocks, but I'm not familiar with sleeving AMCs to overbore.
Comments?

jeepsr4ever
04-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Thats cutting it close, with a .1875 sleeve. Generally you dont want to bore out all the cylinder but leave a little on the bottom for the sleeve to rest on, add a generous amount of loctite and pressit in and then deck the top. Going that large might take the bottoms right out. We have successfully done it on a 258 but never on a 401...... :-| dangit got me thinking now Elliot

jeepsr4ever
04-11-2004, 09:25 AM
If could get enough bottom to agree with the bore then sealing the topside could be done with loctite...I have the AMC blocks on CAD as far as outside dimensions go, could answer this one easy if i was at the shop...but today my friend is easter and I will be chock full of chocolate and ham :t:

-MC

Elliott
04-11-2004, 09:38 AM
MC, Greatly appreciate your response and look forward to what you turn up in CAD. :idea:

Elliott
05-01-2004, 06:52 AM
MC, had a chance to look this up? :?:

jeepsr4ever
05-01-2004, 07:26 AM
sheet Elliot right now when I am looking at cad i better have spindles running...a little busy. Survey says yes though...because a sleeve doesnt go all the way down through a cyl, you use the bottom of the cyl for a stop.

Elliott
05-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Holly Smoke! heh, heh, heh..... time to start saving some dough!
Someone had mentioned that with that large of a bore there wouldn't be enough material at the top to add the extra head bolt... not sure if that is exactly accurate, but if I'm keeping the compression down to ~10:1 and the block is o-ringed I wouldn't think there would be a concern about not having the extra bolt.
Want to PM me with an estimate of having you install the sleeves and o-ring the works?
This isn't something I can start right now, but we have business picking up here in TX so I think it's a possibility in the not too distant future.
Thanks for the effort MC! 8)

jeepsr4ever
05-01-2004, 02:13 PM
As far as the boring goes, we arent setup for it. We have friends though.

Elliott
05-01-2004, 05:22 PM
If your sure the CAD shows the sleeves have enough block to seal against then I'm interested in having the work done. What all it would cost just means how long it would be before I could start it.
1) Any way you could send me a CAD pic?
2) Do you know what the actual length of the sleeve is?
3) What would it cost for the sleeves... and then to have all 8 installed? (the shop would have to know I intend to use the water jacket for cooling and need it to seal)
4) What's the rate for o-ringing ($150?)
5) Might have to sell a gun or two to get this thing going.

Bulltear Ad