PDA

View Full Version : headers

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

bigun
04-14-2004, 08:33 PM
I am in the process of putting J20 cab on Cherokee frame and have been looking at headers. One set I have seen are for little jeeps and are fenderwell exit. :idea: I was wondering if anybody had used these on a FSJ?

jeepsr4ever
04-14-2004, 09:15 PM
I have heard from a source that they do work.....but personally i dont know

bigun
04-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Just to update since I know everybody is sitting on pins and needles. I spoke to local guru Tracy at SW4X4 in Alb. and according to him they should work better in a fullsize than they do in the CJs. So on his say so I have purchased a set on E-bay for the sum of $115. which includes shipping. I'll let you all know how in turns out. :idea: :t: :!:

Mudrat
05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Sounds like quite the project... J-truck on a Cherokee frame, with a ?? motor, and CJ headers ...

Do keep us informed and make sure you snap and post the occasional pic.

Mudrat

bigun
06-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Sorry I hadn't seen your post Mudrat. Motor for now is a 360, but I have 401 on a pallet waiting to be rebuilt. You have probably seen else where this rig is also going to be running on propane. The tranny is a T18 and I just picked up a twin stick dana 20 out of a scout. Right now project is on hold I am an electrical contractor (one man company ) and both of my trucks decided to go down at the same time so the past two weeks I have been dealing with that Ie spending jeep money

Mudrat
06-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Sorry I hadn't seen your post Mudrat. Motor for now is a 360, but I have 401 on a pallet waiting to be rebuilt. You have probably seen else where this rig is also going to be running on propane. The tranny is a T18 and I just picked up a twin stick dana 20 out of a scout. Right now project is on hold I am an electrical contractor (one man company ) and both of my trucks decided to go down at the same time so the past two weeks I have been dealing with that Ie spending jeep money
Understand, first things first - that would be eating :shock: When you get doen there come fix my house. I'm sitting here in the dark sweating my butt off cause the freak'n breaker keeps tripping!!! Ya suppose a 30 year old Cuttler Hammer needs to be replaced :roll: :smile: Or all of them !! :smile:

Pat

bigun
06-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Old style Cuttler hammer is easy I can find them locally Try finding a Zinsco. What hurts is the price of materials is going throught the roof. My supply house informed me that 1/2 EMT is now $42.00 a hundred feet in january it was $12.00. Jeep may be on hold for a while Bart's family makes a large portiom of their yearly income working for the conservance desrict in the summer so we realy can not tie up thier shop for any length of time because equipment that makes money has the prority

Mudrat
06-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Yeah, CH is pretty popular and I only have 20 more to replace :shock: I think the big problem is the alumium wiring in the house - built in '72 when code allowed it. So the CU/AL breakers are between $10 (15Amp) and $22 (60Amp) each at Lowes. Where are the good old days of a 25 cent fuze :smile: I also need to get some more of the anti-ox paste since it's time to check all the outlets again as well.

I need to move into a new, bigger house!!!

Mudrat

jerry
06-16-2004, 10:08 PM
My wire has not gone up much but my steel casing went from $4 ft to $12 in one month it hurts. I bought 500' I wish I had bought 1000.

Jerry 8) 8)

Mudrat
06-17-2004, 04:47 AM
My wire has not gone up much but my steel casing went from $4 ft to $12 in one month it hurts. I bought 500' I wish I had bought 1000.

Jerry 8) 8)

I was at the trailer place on Monday and they were saying the price of steel has tripled since Jan. I think Fuzz can jump in on that too.

BUT the question now is ... did your headers get there and have you at least looked at them??

Mudrat

bigun
06-17-2004, 06:31 PM
You could always do the copper splice thing but the twister wire nuts each cost almost as much as your breakers. Of course you could do like we used to do and use regular wire nuts and fill them with anti-ox before putting them on and then making sure that the bottom pointed up so the anti-ox didn't run out. I have headers opened the box drooled on them then shut box it is now next to my bed making it hard to get in the closet :wink: :wink: :wink:

Mudrat
06-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Glad you were able to at least see your head(ers) :shock:

For the breakers .. I'll do a phased replacement, 5 at a time or so ($$$ talks) and in the process keep looking for a new residence in a diffferent state - VA taxes the hello out of my retirement check :smile:

Good luck on the business end.

Pat :idea:

Elliott
08-01-2004, 06:54 AM
Did'ja stuff them headers in yet?
I've got a 3" body lift and those might work really well with a lift. Had run mufflers next to the rockers on Cherokee w/o a body lift (and a 401) and those things liked to rattle around under the floor pans and the exit in front of the rear wheels was pretty loud to boot. I'd run the pipes and mufflers as far to the rear as possible.

bigun
08-02-2004, 07:43 PM
no we havn't the shop gets a little busy during the summer my buddies family pushs trees for the local conservice district so the dozers have priorty over fun.

Bulltear Ad