PDA

View Full Version : Diesel engine in a CJ?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
04-26-2004, 06:19 PM
What year/kind of 4cyl Diesel engine will fit & adapt to a AMC CJ series stick or auto tranny.

Thanks,
RollBar

P.S. ??? Izuzu Pup engine ???

281 quadcam
04-26-2004, 06:48 PM
look up the islamabad jeep. http://ijc.8m.com/ <there
what they do is pretty amazing, they build TJ's from CJ's, etc. and most of their jeeps seem to run toyota turbo diesels. not sure of their availability in america... but those guys really love them there... toyota is a good name. anyway the pictures of their swaps look clean.

Engine Toyota B2 3000cc 4 Cyl

im in love with the idea of a diesel jeep, but i dont have the guts to try the swap.

fuzz401
04-26-2004, 06:50 PM
in the late 70's jeep had a 4 cyl diesel for export only dont know what make it was though see it in the factory parts book

rollbar
04-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks, anymore?

Just think of the torque! :idea:

Mudrat
04-26-2004, 09:13 PM
From the Jeep Parts CD, it was an Isuzu diesel that was exported. I was looking to try and find a suitable doner Iz diesel and tranny/t-case. A PuP should work or the Trooper setup - but get the whole driveline and harness to save some hassle and figure out what motor/crossmember mounts you'll need. I don't know of any GM/Ford swaps that would fit the Isuzu engine but I'm sure somebody in a diesel forum might have some clues.

Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
04-27-2004, 01:20 AM
I know a guy right here in town who drives a diesel FSJ has a th400 and a quad...pretty cool

Mudrat
04-27-2004, 10:22 AM
I know a guy right here in town who drives a diesel FSJ has a th400 and a quad...pretty cool

And AND AND??? WHAT engine???

Mudrat
Curious minds want to know... :-|

fuzz401
04-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Mudrat
Curious minds want to know...

dont we have to have a mind first ?????????

Mudrat
04-27-2004, 10:55 AM
dont we have to have a mind first ?????????

I've got one 8) It sits in a jar by the door :smile: Permanently pickled :razz:

Mudrat :mrgreen:

jeepsr4ever
04-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Thats funny you say that, I have a pickle for a brain

oh fuzz 8)

Mudrat
04-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Thats funny you say that, I have a pickle for a brain

That explains a lot of what suspected
- how many psistons in an 8 cyl engine?
- what kind of diesel in that FSJ??
- what'd ya do to my rear axle??

:? :? mudrat :? :?

Barry Kaul
04-28-2004, 11:31 PM
2.0l isuzu diesel was used in cherokees and comanches. My Uncle is building a cherokee with a mercedes benz 5 cylinder turbo diesel and t18/t18a.

rollbar
04-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Nice.

Dusty
05-11-2004, 09:32 AM
The peugot diesel will marry to the puegot tranny. I saw an Ebay add for a CJ7 with one, the guy had paperwork that claimed a dealership in california produced over 700 of these over a 4 year run.

The Perkins 184 is also another nice conversion turbo or non.
you can find them in a number of industrial applications.

The cummins 4BT has been done but i would lean away from a 700lbs motor that is fairly tall from oil pan to valve covers. But in all honesty its a really clean way to get to an OD setup. Using the dodge backing plate starter, FW, and bellhousing you can marry up to a NV4500.

The Isuzu Diesel and also the Volvo Disel are good options too, i seem to recal that the car manual tranny bellhousing for a Volvo needs to have the indexing hole opened up a little otherwise a T-18 with the ford input was supposed to fit.

I havent messed with the Isuzu but any engine can be married to any bellhousing you'll just need to find a friend..... machinist with a milling machine to make a 1/2" adapter plate and then choose your tranny and bell housing combo along with the right input. If you want NV4500 remember the Chevy input is shorter by an 1" or 1 1/2" than the Dodge. i think the chevy is 6" and the dodge is 7" or 7 1/2".

Also the Nissan diesel out of the scouts, an engine that was way ahead of its times and it marrys up to a T-19 or T-18 (can't remember)

Avoid the electronicly injected diesels. I would opt for one with an in-line injector pump, its been proven that the In-line pumps live longer and typically have very few problems. Also ussually the inline pump has the fuel shutoff selenoid that if all electronics fail you can bungee it open and the motor will never stop running.

Glow plugs do not come on all diesels. my cummins has an intake air heater grid and I very seldomnly have to use it to start, one crank and the engine fires.

There also is a Perkins diesel that came in alot of industrial applications that works really well. the 184. The later model came with an improved 16v head design. It came in hysters, pumps ect. in a hyster the bell housing used is capable of bolting up to a T-84I which means that it should share some similarities to the old T-18 possibly the indexing hole and the flange face pattern

rollbar
05-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the great info Dusty,

RollBar

I have a friend that has a Peugot tranny, hummmm :!:

Mudrat
05-11-2004, 05:45 PM
OOOhhhhhh GOOD STUFF!!!
Thanks Dusty!

Mudrat

rollbar
05-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Anytime, I love this Jeep stuff. =D> :lo1l:

I want to thank everyone else for their comments so I could learn new stuff etc. :sa: :t:

Barry Kaul
05-11-2004, 09:42 PM
I posted under another topic about the Nissan 3.3L used in the CJ10s.

Bulltear Ad