PDA

View Full Version : SOA VS SPRING LIFT

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

81cj
04-30-2004, 10:13 AM
Whats the pros and cons doing a SOA instead of spring lift on a 79 cj7 ?????????

tufcj
04-30-2004, 10:33 AM
A SOA on stock springs will get you about 5.5" to 6" of lift, but it's a lot more than just swapping the axle pads. You WILL need new driveshafts, probably a CV in the rear. New shocks and mounts, longer brake lines. When SOA, the rear always tends to develop wheelhop, so some sort of traction bar is needed. The biggest problem is steering, even with a dropped pitman, the drag link WILL hit the right spring if you turn right while the right side is drooped. You really need some sort of "high steer" setup. You have to be careful with pinion angles and caster in the front. Even with a dropped pitman or a bent drag link, bump steer may be a problem.

I went SOA on stock YJ springs, and did a shackle reversal at the same time. Total with driveshafts, pads, u-bolts, shocks, brake lines, SRS, and high steer parts was nearly $1800. That's not to mention 2 custom Dana 44 axles and the later addition of 1.5" lift springs with anti-wrap leaves.

The price of doing a SOA can easily surpass the price of a quality lift kit. Don't get me wrong, for flexy suspension, it's the only way to go, but you have to do it right or you'll be disappointed, and your Jeep may be hard to drive.

Lifted79CJ7
04-30-2004, 11:33 AM
I second tuf on that one, it always seems so easy, but there are all of the small details that you need to look at. Let us know if you have questions about any of the above info. I say if its your first lift, just go pick up a Rubicon Express or Old Man Emu lift and have a blast wheelin your CJ.
Jack

pyagid
04-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Rubicon Express and have a blast wheelin your CJ.
Jack

Tigger and JeepAngel are haveing a Rubicon Express group by right now. PM them or contact them through there site if that is what you plan on doing.

www.tapoffroad.com

I agree though a SUA is straight forward pretty much. Just bolt every thing on and wheel it/ SOA has a lot more to deal with think about and has a lot more expense overall to it. If you could fabricate a majority of the parts your self that cuts the cost a little. But your are dealing with the steering and suspension and dont want to make a mistake on anything

-Paul

jerry
04-30-2004, 09:12 PM
My son Derek just did a soa on his cj7 it is alot of work. more than I would what to do.
He also put a 292 Chevy in-line 6 and 4 speed in, with the 205. he still working on the drive lines. He been at it 4 weeks.

Jerry

jeepsr4ever
05-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Spring over- more articulation-axle wrap-cheap lift for SUA's-higher driveline clearance (compared to higher lift springs and a body lift)

Spring under-smooth ride-less spring damage-less clearance

Just a partial list

Dusty
05-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to add an experience for someone who might go and reference this.

With a SUA setup you can get really good results on my CJ7 with F56" front and R55.5" wide axles

We did 4.5 Rubicon Express Extreme duty Wrangler Rear springs for the rear of my CJ7 and 4.5 RE ED Used Rear CJ springs for the front. reason using the rear spring packs, they have 1 added leaf, higher load capacity for a winch and V-8 and are longer, we then went with lockable revolver shackles in the rear, changed the shock mounts to be longer using a ford tower and have had Excellent results, it flex's almost as well as a Wrangler in our group who is using RE1.5" SOA springs on his 4 popper, I say almost because he can drop more but i do better in side hill off camber positions.

I am experimenting with a in frame rail Shackle reversal in the front this year, we will see how that goes. I also run a 1" body lift with mild trimming and 35" tires on WT spec'd axles

Anyways you havent lived til you've experienced leaf spring hang time.

In the end the SOA is the way to go for most who want excellent off road flex, I opted to go this route because i knew i didnt want to fight the axle wrap with my power plant, nor the steering geometry probelms.

Also i will add that the one time I was on a ramp, a 30* ramp i think i scored a 820 and the Wrangler that i mentioned scored a mid 900 like 930-940 or so, but he had shock issues that have been addressed
since.

Just my .02
Dusty

Bulltear Ad