PDA

View Full Version : 78 CJ heater linkage help

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

TommyD
05-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Does anyone out there have a diagram or closeup picture of the heater linkage?

It's the one that connects to the heater/vent cable.

After replacing the dash and broken cables, I found out that the previous owner did not put it together correctly and and didn't connect the cable, so I didn't realize it until now.

Mudrat
05-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Does anyone out there have a diagram or closeup picture of the heater linkage?

It's the one that connects to the heater/vent cable.

After replacing the dash and broken cables, I found out that the previous owner did not put it together correctly and and didn't connect the cable, so I didn't realize it until now.

AAAAaahhhhhh yes .... I went thru the same thing with an 87 YJ. I'm digging up a disk right now to see if I can send the DWG. That was the only way I could sort it out. The Jeep Tech Manual (or Haynes and Chiltons) doesn't do a good job at all so the Jeep Parts book told me the color of the plastic bits on the ends of the cable were the only way to do it. But I don't see any colors listed for 81's.

My disk only goes back to 81 and it's all PDF files (ACROBAT) but figures 24-200, 24-300, 24-900, 24-1000 and 24-1300 (air conditioning) are applicable. I'd send it to you but I can't break those out of the 36.8Meg file. My suggestion is to go to the stealership and see if they can print them off the disk/fiche for you.

The other option is I print them, re-scna them and see if they are legible in an e-mail attachment. Inprder to get the fine print, they may be rather large files 2-3meg each.

Pat

pyagid
05-04-2004, 08:44 PM
I have the disc at work. But i could do screen shots of those images tomorrow.

-Paul

Mudrat
05-05-2004, 05:23 AM
That might work. I tried it at home, but with the screen shot I couldn't read the fine print. Might be my monitor ...
At work I have laptop with 14" screen so I would have the same problem here.

On the disk, it's the 81-83(?) section up around page 1780 or so.

Mudrat

TommyD
05-05-2004, 05:35 AM
I appreciate anything that you can come up with. The linkage that's not right kind of looks like two hockey sticks facing each other with slots in the bottom of each. The one on the right has a post sticking out in the center where the cable connects to it, but the other one seams to have now way of connecting to the other.

I know that they need to somehow work together, so maybe I'm missing a part or something.

If you get the screen shots to work, you can email them to me at jeep@badgeguys.com.

Thanks!!!!

Tom

Mudrat
05-05-2004, 05:40 AM
I appreciate anything that you can come up with. The linkage that's not right kind of looks like two hockey sticks facing each other with slots in the bottom of each. The one on the right has a post sticking out in the center where the cable connects to it, but the other one seams to have now way of connecting to the other.

I know that they need to somehow work together, so maybe I'm missing a part or something.

If you get the screen shots to work, you can email them to me at jeep@badgeguys.com.

Thanks!!!!

Tom

Tom, is this on the upper or lower vent ducting? You should have only 3 cables from the dash to the ducts.

Mud

TommyD
05-05-2004, 05:49 AM
It's the upper vent ducting. It's the control that goes from off to heat to vent. I believe it opens the fresh air vent in the cowl as well as controls whether the air comes out of the vent by the floor on the lower right or the vent by the floor in the center.

pyagid
05-05-2004, 07:27 AM
http://www.yagid.com/Bulltear/heatcontrol1.gif

The other image Mud mentioned is just the cables. Let me know if this helps at all. If not I could scan a page out of the factory service manual this weekend. Or take a picture of mine

-Paul

TommyD
05-06-2004, 07:37 AM
I think the linkage I am looking for is connected to the top ducting. It doesn't show up on this diagram.

By the way guys... I really do appreciate the effort!!!

Thanks!!

TOm

Mudrat
05-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Try these ... they are the only other ones I found - and I used Pauls trick of the screen print then crop and resize. I still can't read them well, but maybe you can.

http://members.cox.net/mudrat/85%20CJ/cables-1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/mudrat/85%20CJ/cables-2.jpg

Pat

Bulltear Ad