PDA

View Full Version : NEWT

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
05-03-2004, 07:55 PM
What are you running for springs. I could see you are SOA with revolvers in the rear and Shackle reversal up front. But what springs are you running

http://www.lavenderbrothers.com/images/red_cj-7/red_cj-7_4.jpg

http://www.lavenderbrothers.com/images/red_cj-7/red_cj-7_6.jpg

-Paul

Barry Kaul
05-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Thats friggin cool!

newt
05-04-2004, 03:42 PM
The springs are stock grand wagoneer 7-leaf fronts. The pics posted were before the shocks, steering, and tractionbar were mounted which reduced the flex a little. I'm not a very big fan of the revolver shackles for technical / STEEP climbs or stuff with lots of wheel spin because they can open and shut causing serious wheel hop and suspention unloading. The springs are a little longer and than stock YJ and have an offset center pin. I've move the spring mounts as far out as practicle to increase wheel base and aproach/departure angles. They flex very well and are only slightly arched while being cheap and heavy duty enough.

pyagid
05-04-2004, 08:24 PM
:? :? that is what i wanted to hear. That is the exact set up i am going with this summer. Minus the revolvers. I have the springs already and waiting for a set of axles. Then i will start the build. I like the looks of the flex. I cant wait

-Paul

newt
05-05-2004, 12:40 PM
The springs are soft enough that spring wrap is an issue (depending on driving style and engine). I have the Sam's Offroad traction bar which works well and is very well made. With the 1" body lift and serious body trimming there is enough room for 39.5s and maybe 42s with a little rubbing. The tires pictured are 38*12.50s. If you are going w/ a shackle reversal make sure you have plenty of slip in the front drive shaft and room for the tire to move up and rearward when compressed. Let me know if you have any other questions. I don't know alot about engines, but I've got a good handle on suspensions and such.

pyagid
05-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the input. I am not sure if i am going with a shackle reversal yet or not. ANd not sure if i am going to move the front axle forward right away or leave it in the stock location. Yours appears to sit very even front to rear. Which i also like to see. I Currently have a 360/t-18. SO should be very similiar in weight respect as yours.

Besides the Revolver shackles is there anything you would consider doing differently with it?

-Paul

newt
05-05-2004, 06:18 PM
My rear axle is set up for a CV drive shaft (pinion points ~4degrees below right at the rear output) which works well, but the front axle is low pinion and set up for good caster which leaves the pinion and front drive shaft low and vulnerable. If I could do it over I'd like a high pinion front w/ the knuckles turned to work right w/ a cv shaft (low pinion but turned knuckles would be OK too).
I need to move the top mount of my front shocks inboard ~4" because they rub the tire (a wheel w/ less backspacing would work too).

Overall I'm really happy w/ it and my wheel base is just under 100".

jeepsr4ever
05-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Their is another guy on your island that runs rocks... he has a 14bolt rear shaved and was featured in alot of oline websites

Bulltear Ad