PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt drive and reverse waterpump for AMC?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Dusty
05-04-2004, 05:14 PM
What about designing a serpantine belt kit for our AMC V-8's using a majority of conventional parts that are out there. ie tensioner, pulleys and belt? i know its been discussed by the guys in my jeep group, we have pondered it and wished for it for years. Honestly the double pulley will take care of most belt problems but serp is sure slick. I know what originally got this started was about four years ago at a car show in Long beach i saw a Javalin with a Serp setup and then a little over two years agon on the Rubi there was an Orange CJ7 from Iowa who had a Serp setup on his 401. MC thats in your 1/4 of the country were you in on that? :roll:

Also if a serpentine setup were to be considered the WP would have to have a retro kit to convert it to reverse or the belt would require some creative twists 111!!!

Thoughts? :-|

jeepsr4ever
05-04-2004, 09:12 PM
hmm yeah i have alot of guys interested in this and it is on the do list

junkyard jim
09-03-2005, 10:49 PM
I helped some guys with an AMC powered hotrod last year that did a serp belt setup. Using the stock waterpump, the pulley was switched for a grooved one (from an Olds fwd I think) and an idler put to the side. I could do a diagram, but I'm lousy at posting them on other sites and getting the links right. (Photobucket didn't like my account. Too much bandwidth for a freebie after the first day!)

Lifted79CJ7
09-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Hey Jim, if you will send it to me, I will host it for ya!!

tarior
09-04-2005, 01:54 PM
hmm yeah i have alot of guys interested in this and it is on the do list

I could be interested in a serp setup too!

tufcj
09-04-2005, 04:01 PM
A serp belt may look cool, but carry a replacement belt. The belt goes, your water pump and all accessories are offline. I like my old V-belt system on my Jeep. I would have to lose 3 belts before my water pump (and fan) stop, 2 belts before I lose the alternator, and 1 belt for the P/S (which I've driven without before).

Also remember that if you use a reverse water pump, you need a reverse fan and fan clutch if you have one.

Bob
tufcj

Goose
09-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Actually I think I like the looks of a serpentine belt more than the function..(sounds pretty lame doesn't it) the aluminum pulleys and stuff.

John Martinez
12-31-2005, 11:58 PM
I think that there was a 304 in a latter model AMC like a spirit or hornet or eagle that had a serpentine belt system. Check it out.

The PIG Smith
11-01-2007, 03:39 AM
I think that there was a 304 in a latter model AMC like a spirit or hornet or eagle that had a serpentine belt system. Check it out.

What models and years should a person look for these parts?

tufcj
11-01-2007, 07:53 AM
NEVER an AMC V-8 with a factory serp belt. Some of the later I-6s did have one.

There was a write up somewhere that someone had done it using Ford pulleys and a small custom spacer, I think. I've seen some aftermarket kits on older GM cars at cruises this summer.

Bob
tufcj

BREK
11-01-2007, 10:34 AM
If I remember correctly a while back in carcraft there was a guy that had a serp belt setup. If memory serves me correctly the guy was from Wisconsin I think?

Mudrat
11-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Dudes, and Dudeetts, we need to get some VOTES going ...

After a hot start, we fell OFF the first page already!! :smile:

Gunna take some effort and dedication to get BACK up there!!

Vote now - vote often!!!!

MC needs the hits :t:

74amx
02-05-2008, 04:54 PM
If you can make one for a 1974 AMC 360 in a Javelin AMX with A/C & Power Steering, etc., count me in.

The PIG Smith
05-31-2008, 10:57 AM
An AMC V8 Serpentine Belt System is more than just talk:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=85130

Its on! I let Pete loose on grinding the form tools and he has a few things to finish first before he starts to churn out serp pullies. I think we are looking at around 5 different applications for all the accessories people will be using.

red mistress
07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Yee haw... dreams come true. :sa:

Mudrat
07-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Any pics or a timeline???

Looks like I'm going to have to do a full rebuild on the waggy :?

Mudrat
08-12-2008, 06:49 PM
BUMP

Looking to do the Wag first . . .

Mudrat
08-17-2008, 05:42 PM
SERP ... SERP ... SERP ... SERP ... SERP ... SERP ...

WHAZZ-UP (with them)??

jeepsr4ever
08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/serps.jpg

Coming soon!

ol' school power
08-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Is it my imagination, or is the crank pulley a bit smaller OD than normal?

Mudrat
09-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Is it my imagination, or is the crank pulley a bit smaller OD than normal?
I think MC said a 20% under drive?

A0M797X112187
10-01-2008, 06:45 PM
A serp belt may look cool, but carry a replacement belt. The belt goes, your water pump and all accessories are offline. I like my old V-belt system on my Jeep. I would have to lose 3 belts before my water pump (and fan) stop, 2 belts before I lose the alternator, and 1 belt for the P/S (which I've driven without before).
While carrying a replacement belt would be an obvious and good idea, in 20+ years of owning a variety of cars and trucks with serpentine belts, I have YET to have a serpentine belt fly off or break ( even with repeated 6500+ rpm blasts ). I have seen them shred and go from 6 ribs down to 2 or 3, but they have never let me down whereas I have nothing but contempt and disdain for V-belts that are notorious for failure. I personally HAVE had all 3 V-belts come off in one incident. I would be EXTREMELY interested in a serpentine setup for my AMC's

Gofastparts4u
10-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Me too! I'm dying to have a setup like this!

Mudrat
10-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Thought I'd bump this too

winter project is the Waggy motor . . ..

jeepsr4ever
10-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Houston we have machine troubles :(:

junkyard jim
11-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Machine probs suck!

I was unable to save the pics of the AMC with Serp setup. We swapped the impeller from a reverse rotation Chev water pump core I had kicking around. The fan and clutch came off a '93 Grand Cherokee I parted along with the PS pump and a few other pieces like the AC Compressor.
I can't get ahold of Dan (not sure where he moved after I switched jobs and he quit driving gas trucks) so I can't get new ones either. I gave him the old harness from a Grand Wagoneer to make it electronic ignition.

The PIG Smith
12-29-2008, 05:45 PM
For you V Belt proponents, just want to share with you my V Belt woes.
While out performing Christmas Delivery and other hauling duties for friends and family,
the Alternator Fan belt on my full sized GMC Diesel cargo van decided to whine then break.
There is NO way a shadetree mechanic can perform this repair in their driveway in sub freezing temperatures!!
I briefly looked from underneath...too far up to get easily get to.
I might be able to loosen up the alternator, but getting back in place with the proper tension on the belt is gonna be a tough.
I checked to see it all the pulleys still freely rotate...no issues there.

I after charged both the batteries fully (yes dual battery setup) took it and parked it at my local shop.

I had install the belt and perform an oil change.
I got out of there with a bill for $138. ](*,)

The Manager told me his tech really fought hard to get that belt on.
The fan shroud and had to come off and it was a bear.

If I had a serpentine belts, I might could have replaced it in my driveway and saved me time and $$$.
I know 6.5L have serpentine belt setup, so I need to check into this for my 6.2L.

jeepsr4ever
02-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Yee fricking hawwwww new lathe coming in friday!

ironman_gq
02-25-2009, 12:10 AM
if it was a two piece shroud it shouldnt have been too bad. You should try changing power steering lines when its -20F ( blew six of em in the driveway in 4 days 111!!! last winter). My buddy's 6.6 duramax had his idler pulley explode on him couple weeks ago and the pulley alone set him back $120 :-|

amundaza
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I just found this thread over here ... a bit newer than the IFSJA.org one ... :lo1l:

ironman_gq
03-04-2009, 09:55 AM
This thread has been alive for a very long time but is still updated periodically :?

jeepsr4ever
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Pics and pricing very soon!!!

Dusty
04-03-2009, 12:34 PM
dude. pictures pictures pictures........ oh yeah when is the kit going to work with AC....... i am assuming you will be a 6 groove serp setup? Congrats soon as the geometry is figured out for running with AC then i assume the only change necessary will be the chaning of the ac clutch to the late 1980's york 258 cj serp setup

Dusty
04-04-2009, 10:49 AM
5 years to the month next month since this thread started

jeepsr4ever
04-04-2009, 02:51 PM
#-o :idea:

Mudrat
04-04-2009, 07:00 PM
5 years to the month next month since this thread started
Have we REALLY been waiting that long?? Now I'm tossed on whether to put it on the CJ or the Waggy?!?!? 'Course I won't be starting the Wag for a few more weeks :-|

DonEBeasley
04-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Will the setup work if I have relocated the alternator to the top with your kit? Thanks.

jeepsr4ever
04-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Yes absolutely!

DonEBeasley
04-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Are you using an idler pulley and if so where is it going. I am currently set up with your billet crank, water pump and alternator pulleys with the alt. relocated up where the AC unit would be using your relocation bracket that has been modified for an Edelbrock MFI intake. I am taking off all of my smog stuff and going without. Have you got any photos of the setup yet?

pablorg
04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Please let me know when you start building a kit that includes the A/C. I'll buy it right away...

Mudrat
04-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Yes absolutely!

You got mine right?? Don't need A/C in the Jeep :mrgreen:

jeepsr4ever
04-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Guys we are getting to AC this week. Pat I didnt get a preorder from you yet.

Mudrat
04-12-2009, 08:02 PM

OK PREORDER!!! (since I can't seem to get in to the 'store' (p-word crap ... again :oops: )

Thought I responded to your e-mail :oops: Remember we were talking about "Its ok if you had to use a dead blow sometimes the rust in the bore makes it hard to put back on." :shock: :? (yeah, it's been THAT long :?: 8) )

When you need the $$$$

Dusty
04-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Yes absolutely!

You got mine right?? Don't need A/C in the Jeep :mrgreen:

What about on board air? 111!!!

Mudrat
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Electric, on demand :wink:

Dusty
04-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Electric, on demand :wink:

:naka: where is that darned emoticon of the smiley fanning the flames

I can see the smoking wires already............... :?

#-o

Mudrat
04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
As close as I could find for ya Dusty ... :wink:

http://forums.guru3d.com/images/smilies/madman.gif

How much air do you think you need :-| ? An A/C comp is there all the time taking space and creating drag, an HP air comp and 2.5-3 gal tank will be enough for tires and tools - if used wisely. Certainly enough for your luv doll :lo1l: :!: =D>

Dusty
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
As close as I could find for ya Dusty ... :wink:

http://forums.guru3d.com/images/smilies/madman.gif

How much air do you think you need :-| ? An A/C comp is there all the time taking space and creating drag, an HP air comp and 2.5-3 gal tank will be enough for tires and tools - if used wisely. Certainly enough for your luv doll :lo1l: :!: =D>

Hey I need to be able to inflate that sheep and an air matress faster than your compressor can 8) #-o

i used to be able to run tools ect but the wait time killed me and hte poor old electric air compressors. Now i can take 4 tires from 5psi to 45 psi in about 5 minutes.

Cheers Pat. hey could you pm me that old Cierro comment you used to have in your signature.

Mudrat
04-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey I need to be able to inflate that sheep and an air matress faster than your compressor can 8) #-o

----

Cheers Pat. hey could you pm me that old Cierro comment you used to have in your signature.
All righty then Dusty :shock: . . . hope you and the sheep enjoy that air matress :t:

You mean this one #-o
Nothing is more unreliable than the populace, nothing more obscure than human intentions, nothing more deceptive than the whole electoral system.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Or this one ...
The enemy is within the gates; it is with our own luxury, our own folly, our own criminality that we have to contend.

I know, this one :wink: :
“The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.” -- Cicero , 55 B.C.

However I have learned since posting it (why I took it down) the REAL quote is:
"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall."

OK, the guys been dead over 2050 years, guess I should have figured he'd be misquoted - WAIT!! The press does that TODAY!!! But he's still a smart MF :t:

Dusty
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks man.

the inflatable sheep i'll send it out your way. :shock:

That poor sheep gets around......... remnants of a bachelor party gag gift now it sits in the jeep tool box waiting for the next passed out victim for it to be photographed snuggled up next to.

Blackmail material

As to the air matress everybody seems to come over and use my rust bucket to inflate their matresses, i am still partial to the old canvass Cot i pack around 111!!!

Thanks for the quotes now back to the regularly scheduled shin dig

pablorg
05-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Hi,

Any news on the serpetine belt setup with AC? Thanks.

philmckrackon
05-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Hi,

Any news on the serpetine belt setup with AC? Thanks.Also, how about the ones without?

Thanks,

jeepsr4ever
06-17-2009, 06:47 AM
They went out and should be in hand!!

73hornut
06-17-2009, 06:00 PM
How does this setup work with the A/C? Does the alternator remain in stock location, does it use a newer sanden compressor?

jeepsr4ever
06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
We currently dont have one that works with AC. Its on the drawing board. Check back next week!

73hornut
06-18-2009, 06:03 PM
My hornet has a/c and came with the idler wheel between the alternator and crank pulley. with this extra idler(flat non-v) and a longer belt, may be able to run the alt and compressor in stock locations?

jeepsr4ever
06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Not with the Serpentine kit we offer. We move the alternator forward .375" to get to the next set of grooves in the system. The AC would have to move as well.

Bulltear Ad