PDA

View Full Version : CJ 7 added tank for fuel capacity

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Dusty
05-05-2004, 11:28 AM
When you want more fuel capacity in a late model jeep, specifically a 7, and i know the floor is not the same so custom brackets and seat mounting would be necessary but Instead of mounting a cell in the rear and robbing yourself of valuable beer space, in the tub on the trail, why not steal an old school 5 under seat tank. 10.5 gallons. mount it under the drivers seat or custom it under the passenger. install a chevy or ford fuel line valve with a momentary switch to activate it and to change the sending unit between tanks at the same time.

Let you know how it works doing it this june.

pyagid
05-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Sounds like it could be a good project and work well. Make sure you take lots of pictures of each step and keep us posted

-Paul

Barry Kaul
05-05-2004, 01:09 PM
If you need a valve, I have one that came with my Holley Projection. It was in a F150 with dual tanks.

jeepguy553
05-05-2004, 08:16 PM
I'd like to see it written up too. That would really be a cool project to do on my 7.

Dusty
05-06-2004, 08:34 AM
:t: Second on the list after i get it running. I'll be sure to take pictures.

Dusty

tufcj
05-06-2004, 09:43 AM
I thought about it for my CJ7, but having driven a CJ2A with the under seat tank for a while I decided against it. You can hear the gas slosh, and there always seems to be some vapor escaping. That's livable with a soft top vehicle, but I bet it would be bad in a closed hardtop vehicle in the summer. There's also the safety issue of having non-contained fuel in the passenger compartment in the event the tank ruptures in an accident.

Ultimately, I went to a 23 gallon Trail Quest tank with an in-tank electric pump. It only hangs about 3" lower than the stock 13.5 gallon tank, and has a beefy 1/4" welded on skid. I haven't hit it on anything yet when wheeling, and it nearly doubled my capacity.

http://www.trailquest.com/tanks.shtml#23

diddycj5
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
I also thought about doing this in my cj5. My dad's '63 CJ5 has the orig under seat tank and someone put in a rear tank out of a later model jeep. Works ok for added fuel capacity, but he doesn't like having that much fuel under his arse. The sloshing is kinda annoying and fumes are a potential issue. Most of the time he uses only the rear tank and doesn't fill up the seat tank unless he knows he will need the extra gas.

When making my rear bumper I decided to rip off bulletproof's jerry can mount design. 10 extra gals of fuel storage that is removable and wont light a fire under your butt. (I'll post pics of the bumper once I get pic hosting setup. - it came out really nice)=

Dusty
05-06-2004, 11:47 AM
I know everyone always worrys about the fuel under your seat but, honestly I cant think of a single case of a Flat fender or a 5 burning down even in some pretty bad roll overs and wrecks. But either way its good info to consider.

As to the fuel cans on the rear i was pondering the added potential on leveraging more weight in the center of the jeep instead of hanging off of the rear. I have noticed a mild change in front end feel when climbing without the cans. Mainly it is an attempt and quite posibly could be a bad one at using empty space. Currently i keep my tool box under the drivers seat and the passenger side is vacant.

Also in my case I have a 46 2a and the fuel slosh doesnt bother me but i also i installed baffles in the tank a year ago. For my 7 i run a Bakini top and probably will never get past half doors anyways. :lo1l: I like hard nipples, plus chicks dig open sides.

All really good points though to bring up, things that others would definately need to consider before doing an addition of this sort. It has some very serious draw backs.

One of my thoughts was what if i install the thing on the passengers side, since that side is empty when doing precarious manuvers the added weight might help hanging out there?

Also what really prompted this was all teh conversations lately by people that i know talking about installing boat tanks, or cutting thier floor to install a larger rear tank without the added 3" of hangdown, ect you know how everyone gets when they start thinking about how to carry more fuel. Im guilty of it but my thought was trying to figure out a clean way todo it that would asthetically flow with the jeep.

I have thought about the oversized tank and will probably go that route later on, this was cost motivated, the under seat tank doesnt cost me a dime.

This is definately making for a good discussion though.

rollbar
05-07-2004, 06:02 PM
As for the vapors, run the vent line through the floor & out the back.

Question: Why would you need a electric switch to swap tanks, why not just let it gravity feed into the original tank. When the original tank gets down just flip the valve etc.

Just a thought,
RollBar

Barry Kaul
05-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Unless you ran really big fuel line it would take a long time to drain the second tank. With the valve you could draw fuel from either tank with the flip of a switch.

rollbar
05-08-2004, 01:12 PM
I got ya, that makes since

Dusty
05-10-2004, 03:59 PM
and if done right that flip of the switch will also alow you to switch sending units. At least that was my hope. In my case it might end up being on the Passengerside, now that i remember that my fuelines are all on the pass side frame rail.

Dusty

rollbar
05-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Sure blow up the passenger why don't you. :!: :-| 111!!!

Dusty
05-10-2004, 04:27 PM
:laughing6:

It's not my side of the jeep. :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad