PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slips in Minnesota

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mikew
05-06-2004, 09:17 PM
I was wondering about getting a Spicer T-lock, which is a limited slip which allows for slip at corners. Will I be fine in the winter with a limited slip up front on my HD-44 solid front axle? (minnesota winters)
1996 Ford Bronco Fullsize

I have the D-44 torn down but I have to wait to buy new gears before I start rebuilding it.

I also have a Ford 10.25 Sterling which needs to be rebuilt with 4.10 gears, it has a limited slip and 3.55, no break through.

jeepsr4ever
05-07-2004, 07:24 AM
You need to watch it with sterlings...some were electric and dont work right in certain vehicles that it wasnt designed for. Axles are cheap my friend...If you are looking come on up here and we will get you a 14 bolt with 4.10's for $75. The track lock isnt terrible but if your looking for a low end lock the track lock will give it but not for extended use. Up front you have a little more freedom in choice of lockers. I hate to say it but a Lunchbox locker is a great way to go up there.

Dusty
05-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Power Loks can be had cheap for your 44 and they work great on ice and snow really good manners. Good off road lock up too. As to your rear end the sterling if it is electric/ has a speed sensor you can get away with quite a bit, for recaliberation purposes you'll have to use the FTE page to find out what the speedo code is for the change over. but FYI i put a dodge D80 in place of my sterling bolted in, used the ford sensor and the Speedo only changed 1mph different at 80mph everything else was so minimal it didnt matter. Sterling is a good rear end depending on the year Bronco it should bolt right in.

I abused the heck out of a couple of Sterlings and they lived many happy years, the final straw on my last Stlng was 30k lbs on lookout pass MT with i foot barried in a bombed cummins, pinion siezed, exited stage left out the side of the housing. The axles and wheel bearings arent too bad onthe Stlngs either plus the Drums pop off the studs so you can check your brakes, i always hated how Chevy had thiers behind the hub and studs.

The TLok is a POS id ditch it ASAP, it only works when you dont need it. I seem to recall that a D70 carrier will work in place of the sterling and the ABS gear does line up its just a matter of ring gear bolt holes which i think are similar.

mikew
05-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the Info.
I had to go with the 10.25 because I have the choice of two axles either the 8.8 or the 10.25 because I have a VSS sensor, I wouldnt want to spend alot of money to make a 14 bolt work the truck.
The 10.25 is a direct bolt in/plug in swap.
Otherwise Id get a 14 bolt instead if I didnt have that VSS mounted on top of the diff.

BTW how much does the Power Lok for the Dana 44 go for?

Dusty
05-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Look around on ebay and at 4x4 shops an old 19 spline 44 power lok is ussually discarded as worthless. call the right people and get 30 spline side gears and a clutch kit. that will give you a rebuilt Plok for about $180-150 (depends on the price you find.) Otherwise watch Ebay a 30 spline 44 power lok will go for about $200, new they run $350 or 380 I think. I precision gear bought the tooling and rights to the D30 and D44 power loks.

Dusty

Bulltear Ad