PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED FROM ALL YOU MASTER FABRICATORS

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

bigun
05-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Black Bart and I are in the process of installing low backseats in J20 cab we went with low backs so we could push seats as far back as possiable to make room for my long legs. The problem we have run into is how to mount the shoulder harness? We are going with a five way harness and what we have been told is that the shoulder harness should mount at the level of my shoulder the problem is we have the seat pushed as far back as it will go there is no room to go behnd it the bar would have to go above the seat putting it directly behind my neck. I can't believe I am the first to have this problem so I am calling on you for help. :? :? :? :?

jeepsr4ever
05-09-2004, 12:19 AM
OK,,,,lets assume we need 2 of the 5 points at shoulder height.

1 st point driver side left shoulder...........easy.....can be mounted either where the original seat belt loop was or through the cab at shoulder height

2nd point......... :oops: ........this requires a post to be made at their is most likely a window in the way at shoulder height. Using grade 5 or better .5 or bigger diameter bolts with large washers a tower can be mounted utilizing 3 bolts through the back of the cab. If one were to do the math at 55mph to a dead stop to hold a person 250lbs you will need 3 .5(or bigger) bolts with .625 or larger washers with the sheetmetal of the cab on your Jeep.

Trailbst
05-09-2004, 11:36 AM
The only rule that i know to be true for shoulder harnessess, is that they SHOULD NOT be mounted more than 2" below the shoulder. To avoid the belt from compressing your spine in the event of an accident. There is no rule about mounting then "equal to" or "above" the shoulder. Just take a look at seat belts in cars, shoulder mount is high above the shoulder.

Keep that in mind. Should make finding a mounting point easier now.

Erik

ironroad 32
05-27-2004, 08:05 PM
mount it through the glass..lol

jeepsr4ever
05-27-2004, 08:12 PM
#-o

Tigger
05-28-2004, 10:38 PM
With what trailbst said, why not weld in a bar near the roof line running all the way from one side to the other or take it to the floor and make an internal cage. A nut can be welded where you need it for a "Y" style harness or use a "Y" style wrap around and just put it around the bar and above your head a bit.

Bulltear Ad