PDA

View Full Version : stock bumpstop

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

W.T.Sumner
05-09-2004, 09:54 AM
anyone know the distance between the bumpstop and axle on a stock cj7 suspension??

Mudrat
05-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Ah ... hummmm ... Nope. That's one measurement I don't have. If it's brand new, the springs haven't settled in. If it's not new, it's probably been modified :wink:

Curious question though - why?

Mudrat :mrgreen:

W.T.Sumner
05-09-2004, 12:37 PM
I am doing a shackle reversal, installing front springs from a 77 cherokee, and lowering the frame mounts in front of the axle. I had 6" shackles to start with and did not lower my bumpstops. It trashed my shocks and shockmounts. This time I will lower the mounts. Plus it will let me know how much lift i get out of this modification.

Mudrat
05-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Ahhhh, now I see. When I did the shackle reverse from MORE, I got about 3/8 in lift out of just that - before things settled in.

I'll double check, but I think that was around 27 inches ... measured from the frame at the front body mount by the rear of the front springs though.
Then I slid a Skyjacker 3" under it and before I even got the Jeep outta the shop I started an SOA and axle swap :shock: 111!!! 111!!! 111!!!

It'll roll under it's own power again some day #-o :-| (maybe??)

Mudrat :mrgreen:

W.T.Sumner
05-09-2004, 04:35 PM
I made my own shackle reversal and lowered the front frame mount about 3 inches. I need the distance between the axle bumpstop and the axle. The longer shocks I put on were broke of because of to much spring compresion during hard 4 wheelin. I try to build my own lift and every thing rather than buy off the shelf. Then when I follow or lead the hi buck rigs I get much more satisfaction in completing a trail ride.

Mudrat
06-01-2004, 07:18 PM
W.T.S. Ever get an answer??

Mudrat

W.T.Sumner
06-02-2004, 04:05 AM
No I have not Mud. I found an old cj5 for sale and stopped and checked it. There was only 2 inches between the axle and bumpstop on it. I finished my homebuilt lift and have 6 in. between mine. Those fsj cherokee springs worked great. I can still do a spring over and get another 4in. if I ever feel the need. Did I see where you are going to UNF this weekend?

Mudrat
06-02-2004, 08:45 AM
No I have not Mud. I found an old cj5 for sale and stopped and checked it. There was only 2 inches between the axle and bumpstop on it. I finished my homebuilt lift and have 6 in. between mine. Those fsj cherokee springs worked great. I can still do a spring over and get another 4in. if I ever feel the need. Did I see where you are going to UNF this weekend?
Yup - be leaving Thurs PM and expect about a 5 hr drive - spend the weekend and be back at work Tues AM. MC said he's coming down too, but I haven't gotten confirmation from him or Brandon on camping/registration. But I'm still going if I have to sleep in the truck and pimp myself out as a spotter :?

Mudrat

W.T.Sumner
06-02-2004, 05:22 PM
I wish I could make it . But I got to much work to do this weekend. I live in Roxboro, its just about half way between you anf UNF.

Penguin
11-30-2004, 01:15 PM
This doesn't sound that complicated to me. Find out what the travel of your shock is, divide it in half, put a little less space than the measurement from shock.
So if you have 12" travel on the shock, take 6 for travel upward put 5.5" of space between the axle and frame. Just make sure you have enough room in the tire area unless you don't mind stuffing the tire in the fender.

Bulltear Ad