PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum on a camed engine

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
05-10-2004, 06:45 PM
O.K. Hope I make since, 111!!!

My 304 has a cam in it, I did not install the cam it's not to radical it's more like a high end street cam but it loobs nice (if that makes since), yesterday I tuned up the ole 304 w/a MC-2100 on it & I set the timing @ 8* like the book says & I adjusted the idle jets/screws on the carb.
The Jeep runs perfect, idle & top end.

Statement: On the vacuum guage @ idle it reads 14" & the guage has a red zone that say's late timing @ 15", it's just outside of that. NOw when I rev it up & hold it about 1500 rpms the guage goes into the green area & reads 20" which is good.

Now not knowing what cam I have in it should I correct the timimg @ idle w/the vacuum guage on & see where it sets on the marks or should I just leave it as the book say's?

I know not to go to far out of time but it might tell me where the engine needs to be set @, right?????

It's peppie & the fuel miliage is pretty good but I was wondering if I could make it better by doing this by setting it @ idle w/the vacuum guage.

RollBar

P.S. I know that it's better to have it set around where your driving would be etc cause you don't idle around town etc if that makes since. 111!!!

Elliott
05-30-2004, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about the timing being off, sounds like it runs just fine. The reason for your gauge giving you a faulty timing diagnosis is likely due to that cam producing less vacuum at idle.

rollbar
05-30-2004, 04:05 PM
I have left it alone & it's running better than ever, thanks.

P.S. Still Forsale

tufcj
05-30-2004, 06:22 PM
My 360 with edelbrock cam only pulls 13-14" at idle, I'd say you're good.

rollbar
05-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Great,

Thanks everyone.

Bulltear Ad