PDA

View Full Version : Carb / Ignition Question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

ILUV2XLR8
05-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have had this problem or if a red flag pops in your heads.

I just installed a Holley 4150 carb, and a Delco distributor that has a Crane xr-i ignition controller, adjustable vacuum advance and has been recurved (silver/blue springs).

My prob is this, the engine idles fine with the vacuum advance off, when I connect it to the distributor, the motor starts to idle erratically. I'm getting vacuum from the ported vacuum fitting at idle, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that this port was'nt suppost to get vacuum at idle. What gives?

Toy Maker
05-15-2004, 05:31 AM
The port in the side of the metering block is ported vacume. If you are getting vacume at idle, then you have the throttle open too much for proper operation of the carb, even if this is required to get it to idle. As to the miss at idle, pull the distributor cap off, check the contact points on the cap and rotor, see if they look burned on the tips or in the center, assuming you used a new cap and rotor with the new dist. Post results.

ILUV2XLR8
05-17-2004, 10:44 AM
the cap and rotor are new (MSD), as to points, I did an electronic conversion with the Crane XR-i kit (sweet piece esp. the rev limiter) :lo1l: also have a Crane adjustable vacc. advance kit.

I took a timing light to the motor and set initial advance to 10* BTDC, was running way advanced before this and the idle speed came down afterward. Unfortunately I ran out of gas before I could get to the carb. :shock: (Time to bust out the Jerry can) :mrgreen:

Bulltear Ad