PDA

View Full Version : mufflers

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mrtazwrench
05-13-2004, 09:07 PM
there's a large post on ifsja on mufflers, mostly bashing flomaster, i've had those, cheap turbos, and glaspacks, just wondering what opinion's are around here. :-|

pyagid
05-13-2004, 09:27 PM
I just bought 2 new Turbo II mufflers yesterday b/c i blew one of them up with a back fire a few weeks ago. I have run these for 3 years and have no complaints

I wanted to stick glas packs on but the way i have my tail pipes i would need one shaped like

http://www.maremont.com/images/cherryb.gif

and can not find them anywhere other than a picture. So if anyone knows where to get them please let me know

-paul

mrtazwrench
05-14-2004, 11:31 AM
i think walker/thrush used to make them, not sure if they do anymore. :-|

jeepsr4ever
05-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Ive run purple hornies and cherry bombs....glasspacks are cheap and neat....but thats all they actually cavitate your exhaust and you loose a few points of power. Flowmasters are spendy gawdy but flow well...not sure if they flow better or worse than a glassy

Barry Kaul
05-14-2004, 01:45 PM
I think Flowmasters are over rated. At UTI we had measurable gains with magnaflow mufflers over flowmasters on the dyno. I like the sound of the magnaflows better to. Just my opinion.

tufcj
05-14-2004, 02:44 PM
I've got a single 3" Magnaflow on my CJ. Pretty quiet at idle, it has a very nice note at 2500 and above. Being full welded it won't split or rust at the seams, and has taken some good pops on the trail with just a couple of small scrapes.

I have a pretty unique exhaust on my CJ. I have factory cast iron manifolds (free flow). Both sides come out of the manifold with 2 1/4" pipe, the passenger side turns 135 degrees and goes forward, above the driveshaft and under the front of the pan. It turns back on the drivers side, and joins with the drivers side. As soon as they join, they go into 3", thru a high flow cat, the muffler, and out the back in the stock location. The only place that anything is below the bottom of the frame rail is where it dumps at the rear. I got tired of smashing the factory crossover under the trans.

Bob.
tufcj

Barry Kaul
05-14-2004, 05:23 PM
That's different. :-| Whatever works.

Mudrat
05-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Interesting design thought there. I like mine above the lower frame rail too. (but I have a I-6 so it's easy :wink: )
Have you had any issues with balancing the exhaust? or valve burn on the short side?
Is your collector still on the drivers side under the clutch linkage (assuming a manual tranny)

Mudrat

tufcj
05-15-2004, 07:06 AM
So far, no problems. I've had the exhaust on a couple of years with at least one 400+ mile highway drive. The factory Y pipe isn't equal length, this setup just stretches the passenger side a little more. The 2 sides join right below the drivers manifold. The pipe on the DS is only about 8" long and is bent back slightly for flow. The two 2 1/4" pipes are notched together, then welded to the 3".

With my flattened skid pan, and the tight exhaust, the only thing hanging down in the front is the driveshaft and springs, not much I can do about that. :mrgreen:

I'm quite happy with the setup, and several fellow wheelers have copied it.

Mudrat
05-15-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm quite happy with the setup, and several fellow wheelers have copied it.

Well imitation is the most sincere form or flattery :t: And I just got back fro UWI for my spring hangers ... they have an old CJ (year couldn't be determined) but it looked like a 304 under the plywood hood - no tranny/transfer. They also have a Cherokee (88?) with a V-8 and auto still in it. When the dudes folks go on vacation this week I'm going to take a day off and play "Lets make a deal" and see what I can get. Right now he only charges me 1/2 what his old man does :t: :lo1l: :?
So If can get the motor(s) I may just flatter you too :mrgreen:

They also have a 97 TJ for under 5 bills. May need to do some research. My boy will be looking at wheels in a year or so and I can break it er ... I mean ... ah ... break it IN for him :oops:

Mudrat

Goose
08-28-2004, 05:04 PM
I know this is an old topic but just had to share my exhaust solution since it worked so slick..I got tired of the big buck mufflers So I went looking for 2 1/2 to 3" inlet and outlet muffs.. I found the heavy duty truck market has these in abundance Walker etc make great ones.. I put a set of 3" on my J-10 they are round profiles built like cannon bores and they sound great.. 34.00 each.. While i dont have a flow bench these things are big enough inside to thro a cat through and they dont have that Cracking rattly glass pack sound ( Sorry I grew up on cheap Thrush tubes" Anyway they tuck nice sound good and last forevever..and They are cheap..Worked for me (oh btw they were listed for a 2 ton chevy truck) =D>

mrtazwrench
08-29-2004, 09:14 PM
i remember putting some of those on a gmc dump truck, they have a mellow deep sound to them, would probally work ok on a fsj, but a little big for a cj.

Goose
08-30-2004, 12:03 AM
True .. I tend to forget just how little room there is under a CJ.. but Dang those muff's have a great sound to them

Bulltear Ad