PDA

View Full Version : Tire balancing issues

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

diddycj5
05-18-2004, 12:32 PM
I was wondering what type of weights does everybody use for balancing tires. About a year ago I bought a set of 5 33x10.50 SS TSL Radials on the cheapy 15x8" black steel rim. The tire shop used the stick-on weights on the inside of the wheel. I have never used the spare tire and the weights all fell off. I haven't looked to see if the remaining 4 wheels still have their weights, but am completely unimpressed (at least with the shop). I need to get at least the spare re-balanced but was wondering what the prefered method is.

mrtazwrench
05-18-2004, 07:00 PM
i just use standard weights on the steelies, alum sometimes have to do stick ons, and i clean the rim real good with brake cleaner first. if possable find someone who has a load force balancer, it will help index tire on the rim for the least out of round, and best balance, and checks for bent rims, :t: had one at my old job, not any more though #-o also there's this powder stuff we have at work for heavy truck tires called equal, haven't tried it myself though. :-|

Trailbst
05-18-2004, 07:03 PM
One of the guys in our club uses BBs in his tires, as a dynamic balancer.

He has a Hummer (http://www.antiflex.com) with 38" swampers. Says he runs about 2 pounds of BBs per tire. Noise is minimal, and has noticed NO wear on the inner part of the rims, in the year that he has been doing it.

Just a thought.

Erik

mrtazwrench
05-18-2004, 07:07 PM
One of the guys in our club uses BBs in his tires, as a dynamic balancer.

He has a Hummer (http://www.antiflex.com) with 38" swampers. Says he runs about 2 pounds of BBs per tire. Noise is minimal, and has noticed NO wear on the inner part of the rims, in the year that he has been doing it.

Just a thought.

Erik

i think the equal powder is supose to work like that. :-|

Barry Kaul
05-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Equal is messy, if you use it make sure the inside of your tire is dry, otherwise it clumps. Could also be bad if you blow a bead off road. I balanced a set of Hummer wheels once, had to use semi tire weights, the whole tire took almost a pound of weight. :shock:

Bulltear Ad