PDA

View Full Version : If this rod's a knockin'.....

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Tin Man
05-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Amc 360 #8...rear cylinder on the passenger side...first thought was a "real noisy" lifter....can hear it clacking from thirty feet away. Any way short of tearing the engine down to confirm the actual problem? I used a three foot piece of steel rod as a stethescope and it sounds like the noise is eminating from about mid block...it gets quieter the lower I go on the block. Your thoughts? TIA.

J

jeepsr4ever
05-20-2004, 07:05 AM
It sounds like a wrist pin, you should replace the piston ASAP before the pin lets loose gouges your cylinder breaks the rod and puts a port hole in your block :oops: Is this motor a rebuild?

Tin Man
05-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Couldn't tell you if it's rebuilt or not, I bought an '81 Wagoneer three years ago for the motor..."used" to run very strong and burns no oil. If I had to guess, I would think it has at some point been into. Thanks for the heads up on the wrist pin.

J

jeepsr4ever
05-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Before we do a backflip and start tearing into the engine lets talk oil pressure, what is your current pressure? have you checked to see if the flexplate bolts are tight (the ones that bolt the plate to the torque converter)

Tin Man
05-20-2004, 12:12 PM
No flex plate, flywheel and I haven't checked that yet. I'm also going to pull the plug wire for the cyclinder in question tonight and see if that affects the noise. Thanks.

J

Tin Man
05-20-2004, 08:31 PM
Disconnected the spark plug wires one at a time for all the passenger side cylinders...sound never changed???? I'll check the flywheel bolts this weekend. I would think if it were a "rotating mass problem, that the sound would have been less after killing the cylinder(could this really be only a lifter?)...I also noted I could hear it pretty good from the drivers side,fenders are off the Jeep, but it is definitely coming from the passenger side...I think. In the morning I'll go pick up a stethiscope and do some checking. As far as oil pressure...I don't have the gauge hooked up right now...but the factory gauge used to hit near bottom at idle...

J

jeepsr4ever
05-20-2004, 10:58 PM
:-|

Tin Man
05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Might also add that idle never changed much while she was running only on seven cylinders...didn't seem to matter much which plug wasn't firing..will do a compression test....but magic 8-ball says "all things do not look good!"

J

jeepsr4ever
05-20-2004, 11:40 PM
:-| :idea:

Bulltear Ad