PDA

View Full Version : Which mods would you suggest?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CJ360V8
05-23-2004, 09:28 PM
The oiling system is about the only thing I don't have much experience in upgrading. Funny, yet sad, becaue it's probably the first thing you know about modifying because of it's importance. So which mods would you recommend to do and in what order would you do them? I've looked through the posts and have seen a couple different mods, but what is the purpose of these. Sorry for the newbie-ish questions, but I prefer to know what it is I'm modifying before I do them. Thanks.

jeepsr4ever
05-24-2004, 05:35 AM
Intake valley line: Keeps the rear mains oiled when extended RPM's are used or quick acceleration.

Main bearing boring: An over the top oiling mod for those who race.

The AMC oil pump actually is designed right for their small blocks however when you see cam bearing wear or lifter wear the rear mains suffer a lack of oil due to the oil getting to the cam and lifters First! The AMC small block actually has only one oil feed line to the mains where most small and big block applications have 2. To combat this the lifter valley oiling mod is used to make sure the maximum oil is sent to the rear mains.

Some like to install a outsie line from the oil pressure sedning unit to the top of their timing cover to oil the distributor gear. This is uneccesary even in a racing motor as the distributor gear gets plenty of oil when all the oiling holes are lined up. Alot of tech on this one (hole beign lined up) the cam gear MUST have a slot in the 2:00 position from the keyway, the cam gear must have the oiling holes in their perspective positions and their must not be any binding of the oil gears caused by either taper or a pressure issue. I do not suggest this modification as it is uneccesary.

Clean oil and the use of WIX filters are what will keep your amc alive. Alot of guys like to use Fram oil filters but if you have a old style oil filter adaptor and on a cold morning the fram filters will cause the oil filter bypass to open and let dirty oil into your engine, this doesnt happen with a Wix filter. Fram also uses a cheap filtering paper and Wix is far superior in reguards to oil flow and filtering media. Wix is made by the Dana corporation and started out as a fleet filter (where maximum filtering without blockage is required). Now they are into making filters for common type engines

Bulltear Ad