PDA

View Full Version : Hi Idle

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
05-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Lately it has been happening more and more. When i start my XJ it will Idle at anywhere from 2000-3000 rpm Used to be that I could shut it off and then turn it back on and it would Idle at the proper 900 rpm or so. Now I don't know if it is the turning off and back on or if it is the vehicle starting to warm up. It definatly does it a lot more and worse when the motor is cold.

Would these indicate a TPS? or Maybe a CPS? I am pretty sureif it was teh CPS it would not run at all.

Thanks
-Paul

mrtazwrench
05-24-2004, 06:13 PM
what year is it? i know my 87 comanche used to do this, never fixed it, but i remember the dealer techs thinking it was a tps, they said this was common to go bad, i'd also look at the idle air control, and cts, if it has a cts out of range though i'd expect it to be running fat also. good luck on the diag.

greenxj
07-01-2004, 05:40 AM
it sounds like your tps is going bad to me

pyagid
07-01-2004, 07:11 AM
sorry its an 88. I grabbed a couple of TPS' from the junkyard, b/c a new one is $80 I swapped one in and it works better than My original. But still sometimes on start up it will idle high. (same way my original was before it idled high at all times) I am going to try the otherone I grabbed as well

-Paul

Trailbst
07-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Paul, while I'm relatively sure that you did this, make sure that you disconnect the battery when changing the TPS, this will reset the computer to see the new TPS.

Erik

pyagid
07-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Paul, while I'm relatively sure that you did this, make sure that you disconnect the battery when changing the TPS, this will reset the computer to see the new TPS.

Erik

AND RESET MY RADIO STATIONS??? 111!!!

Just Kidding I never set the Radio stations in this jeep B/c I knew I would not own it very long

greenxj
07-02-2004, 05:32 AM
it could be your idle speed control motor which is right next to the tps

Bulltear Ad