PDA

View Full Version : Need guidance for Ford 460

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

CJ360V8
05-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know of a good site with oil system mods for a Ford 460? I'd like to find something similar to this site as there is much great info and for AMCs at that. But unfortunately I need some info for the 460 in the truck that will tow my Jeep.
Thanks
-Pat-

jeepsr4ever
05-25-2004, 08:03 AM
If I am not mistaken their arent a whole lot of oiling mods one can do to the 460 block. Maybe a high pressure pump and a good filter

:-|

Jack- be good 8)

Soylent_Green
05-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Fram makes a bunch of great filters for your 460.

I'd suggest using the TG8A, or the X8A. (Tough Guard, and Extra guard, respectivly) Also there is the HP1 racing filter.

Or if you have the clearance, you could use the PH977A which is basically a longer version of the PH8A. (150% capacity)

Any of these you can get at pretty much any store that sells oil filters.

Soylent_Green
05-25-2004, 09:11 AM
I think the only thing you can do besides a high pressure pump, is go to a dry system. This would be a good thing if the truck is going to be spending long amounts of time parked between tows, because it gives you the option of turning on the oil pump before you start the engine, making sure that oil is in all the places it should be before the engine needs it to be there.

Many performance parts manufacturers make parts and complete systems. It is a somewhat costly endever though.

Here's how it works: http://www.moroso.com/articles/articledisplay3.asp?article=AboutDrySumpSystems.ht ml

if isn't something that you want to do, you could go for a large capacity oil pan. Summit sells a Moroso street/strip pan for 4x4 460 trucks for $209.88 Part # MOR-20612

Any way you go, let us know how it works! :lo1l:

09-15-2004, 09:44 PM
This site seems to have good info and at least a few people who get thier hands dirty. On the pump I would think it would be more important to have a high volume pump as opposed to a high pressure. For Fords I've heard Mellings was the best to get.

http://fullsizebronco.com/

hssss
09-15-2004, 09:47 PM
For pree oiling look at
http://www.accusump.com/

FSJer
07-31-2005, 06:52 AM
seriously , go to a good Auto bookshop and get a performance ford v8 book. I have one at home , think it is a HP book( brand ) that covers Ford- thats when i liked fords , it covers all the pre 90's V8's , learn heaps of stuff- theres not much difference between a 429 and a 460 ( mainly the longer stroke) it is a bit like the difference between a 390 and a 401.

>>>>The knowledge is out there to be discovered<<<<<

rollen dean montoya
08-01-2005, 03:42 PM
i'd go with a high volume pump. its just my opinion.

castro
10-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know of a good site with oil system mods for a Ford 460? I'd like to find something similar to this site as there is much great info and for AMCs at that. But unfortunately I need some info for the 460 in the truck that will tow my Jeep.
Thanks
-Pat- i have a 429 the only oil mod i now of is to drill the block were the oil pump and block connect one drill bit size larger not sure i think its 3/8 to 7/16 try fast fords .com or big block ford .com

Bulltear Ad