PDA

View Full Version : SOA Help

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

purplewg
05-25-2004, 06:22 AM
I am doing a frame up build using a 85 CJ7 frame and running gear. I figured while I was this far I might as well build it with the springs over. I have read the articles and sort of understand re-directing the rear pinion to lessen the angle of the driveshaft to the output shaft of the tranny. The article also stated that the front pinion should be parallel to the output of the transfer case shaft. I have read about using CV shafts and such but I have also read many who stated they are not running extended or CV shafts. This will be a moderate mudder not a rack climber. Any thoughts on what I should look out for? I guess I need a dropped pitman arm. What about the tie rods? Is there a need to raise these for spring clearance? Kits for this? I will probably fab my own shock mounts if required. It seems to me though if I raise the frame mounts and raise the lower shock mounts from under to over the axle I am effectively keeping the same distance between the shock mounts.

Sorry guys', just trying to get this straight in my head and trying to plan ahead. Any advice would be appreciated.

jeepsr4ever
05-25-2004, 08:14 AM
On vacation this winter I helped install a spring over on jeepbuds jeep in FLA. It went smoothly despite the lack of tools. You will need 4 new spring purches, a grinder ,a welder, longer brake lines, Jackstands, brake fluid and patience. Installing the axle and rotating it up is extremely simple as you take the rear axle just bolt the spring purches on the axle witht he new ubolts and angle it up a littel (NOT ALOT and NOT MORE THAN NEEDED) the angle should be tipped slightly up and only slightly up. remember that the springs will sag a little when the weight of the jeep is on them. The front is almost as easy as the pumpkin on a 30 doesnt interrupt the spring purch mounting, same applies install the purch without welding and set the pinion angle by tightening the ubolt and tapping the axle up untill your satisfied withthe angle. You can use your michaelangelo painters thumb to eyeball it, once your happy tack it and loosen the ubolt so you can run a nice fat bead around the purch. If you are already running lift springs be carefull as you may ge A LOT of lift out of a SOA and If your springs are weak you may need to run a track bar to take care of axle wrap (wheel hop and the axle twisting he spring) sadly common with a SOA and stock springs. Good luck and feel free to ask away when your rolling

purplewg
05-25-2004, 08:57 AM
On vacation this winter I helped install a spring over on jeepbuds jeep in FLA. It went smoothly despite the lack of tools. You will need 4 new spring purches, a grinder ,a welder, longer brake lines, Jackstands, brake fluid and patience. Installing the axle and rotating it up is extremely simple as you take the rear axle just bolt the spring purches on the axle witht he new ubolts and angle it up a littel (NOT ALOT and NOT MORE THAN NEEDED) the angle should be tipped slightly up and only slightly up. remember that the springs will sag a little when the weight of the jeep is on them. The front is almost as easy as the pumpkin on a 30 doesnt interrupt the spring purch mounting, same applies install the purch without welding and set the pinion angle by tightening the ubolt and tapping the axle up untill your satisfied withthe angle. You can use your michaelangelo painters thumb to eyeball it, once your happy tack it and loosen the ubolt so you can run a nice fat bead around the purch. If you are already running lift springs be carefull as you may ge A LOT of lift out of a SOA and If your springs are weak you may need to run a track bar to take care of axle wrap (wheel hop and the axle twisting he spring) sadly common with a SOA and stock springs. Good luck and feel free to ask away when your rolling

Well, you really know how to have fun on vacation huh? It's a small world. I just bought this frame from jeepbud a couple of weeks ago. I have a CJ7 with bad frame and body. Anyway, now my question is if I rotate the front diff up won't that give me negative spring caster? I was told you need about 6-7 deg positive spring caster in the front. Not trying to argue here just want to do it right the first time.

Bulltear Ad