PDA

View Full Version : Scored a Dana 60.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

tufcj
05-25-2004, 09:39 PM
:? I was in the Chicago area last week. My brother turned me on to a guy parting a 71 J4000 pickup. Went and looked and sure enough, a Dana 60-2 rear. Semi floater, 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, 4.10 gears, and 1.5" - 35 spline axles. Picked it up for $125. It has some rust, so the BOM isn't legible, but that's OK. Now to have it narrowed to 56" for the rear of my CJ. :-|

jeepsr4ever
05-25-2004, 10:43 PM
nice catch!!

You really dont want that sixty though its a boat anchor, please send to

Bulltear
30401 neal ave
Lindstrom mn 55045 8)

Dusty
05-26-2004, 03:33 PM
:razz: :t:

Very bad axle, very bad, best pay to ship it away. :mrgreen: Those 35 spline axle shafts and 5 on 5.5 pattern arent what you want, plus its really heavy, very bad in jeep applications.

Hmmmmm wonder why im running one :?

tufcj
05-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Dusty, are you running full width or did you cut yours? The one I have is heavily offset to the passenger side. With some quick measurements, I may be able to get close to the 56" I'm looking for by just cutting the long side. It's about 65" right now.

jeepsr4ever
05-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Dang you got one of the rarest dana 60's of all time that came in a j20 with quadratrack...........that thing is gold ive only seen one in almost 1000FSJ's

HOLY =D>

Dusty
05-27-2004, 08:38 AM
you can cut it on the one side, i cut mine to 55.5, i fudged a little. My front end is 56 so im still ok though, i wanted it 56" F&R and with that rear end you can do that, nice huh.

Never been much for full width on a cj, i like people to to look twice and wonder if its stock. :shock:

Yeah those things are few and far between. I found mine :idea: in a Cooley while out pheasant hunting in Conrad Montana, Back when i lived in montana.

tufcj
05-27-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't like full width either, plus out here in Colorado, some trails are iffy for full width. I used a 44HD front axle from a GM 3/4 ton pickup, since it was already SOA. Cut it down to 56" so I could leave the springs in the stock location. My current rear is also a 44 which was cut to 55", but the thicker disc brake rotors push it out a little.

I just did some quick rough measurements last nite, we'll see when I actually get some hard measurements. I'll have the rear out in a couple of weeks for a gear change (4.27 to 4.88 ), they've been on the shelf for months. I just don't have the cash to build the 60 right now with the AMX project going on but I grabbed it for the price. :?

The 44 will be for sale - 4.88s, Detroit locker, disc brakes, and spare axle shafts when I get the 60 done.

Dusty
05-27-2004, 12:14 PM
I hear ya man :smile: I never had had the cash in my piggy bank (project fund) at the right time for building a diff the way i wanted to.

Instead to cut the price tag :lo1l: i've learned how to pickup old Power Lok's for $50 from a wrecking yard or wherever. I then order a clutch pack for $40, rebuild it. Call my friend to do the install for a 12 pack :razz: & bearings/seals cost around $70, I even have gotten so stingy as to tear apart 2 or three Ploks and find enough good clutches to scab one together for a trip when i was really pinched for fun cash with a different rig than my norm.

That might be pointless info, but for about $200 you get a rebuilt diff with a LS that works really well, I'd put it in the same class as lockers that ive had for functionallity. Check ebay from time to time i found my front 4.88 R&P for $40 lightly used.

I dont blame you i had mine for awhile before i cut it down. Do it right the first time. :t:

tufcj
05-27-2004, 01:02 PM
I've dealt with www.completeoffroad.com, that's where I got my 4.88s and install kits for the Dana 44s from. On their site they have a Detroit for the 60 for $499, the 4.88s for $166, add the cost of a master install kit and a few seals, plus disc brakes (TSM Mfg. is driving distance), and cutting the housing and axle. I think I can have a great Dana 60 for under $1500.

I'll buy parts as I have money, and stack them on the "project shelf". When I have everything, I'll have it cut, build it and stuff it in.

Dusty
05-27-2004, 01:07 PM
:?

Dusty
05-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Oops double post.

Yeah that was my point as i get the money in the Jeep fund it gets spent (since i have a strict budget for myself where most $$$ goes to my savings that i refuse to touch). My ussual problem is right before or during Jeep season I end up needing to tinker with a diff on myine or someone elses hence teh perfection of the Plok bandaid method :lo1l:

I'll look around i seem to recall that when i took my detroit out a year ago i left it up at my friends barn in somerset he may not be using it and may still have it, i hated it because it would ratchet and in precarious situations pop me off of things at the worst of times.

Good Luck sounds like you'll have a reasonably priced rockin rear end. Awesome :t:

Lifted79CJ7
05-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Congrats on the cool find!! That really is a rare axle! :shock: :? :lo1l: =D>
Jack

jeepsr4ever
05-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Tuf you want a great deal contact tigger (moderator) form the board here he sells gears. We got alot of business owners and engineers that are members here as well, need something just ask. Also I would like to pickup your 4:27 dana 60 gears when you done :t:

tufcj
06-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Actually, the 60 has 4.10 gears. I have 4.27s in both 44s currently in the Jeep. If you're interested in those, I may have them swapped in a couple of weeks.

I just don't have the cash right now to get the 60 all set up. So I'll swap the 4.88s into the 44s and run that way for a while. I've already got the gears and bearing sets for that, so it's just finding the time to make the swap. I pull the axles, there's nothing I hate worse than setting up gears while under a vehicle. :roll:

tufcj
06-07-2004, 10:53 AM
:-| Now, does anyone have info, or have you tried pulling the tubes out of the housing? I sat and did some hard measurements over the weekend. To get to 56" with the correct left/right spacing, I could swap the current short side to the long side, then just have the long side cut to be the new short side. The way it is now, if I just cut the long side, the diff ends up offset too far to the driver side.

Any links to do-it yourself sites would help.

Bob.

Dusty
06-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Are you measuring from pinion or overall carrier dimensions. D60 pinion is offset in the center section

tufcj
06-07-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm measuring from the pinion. I need to push the pinion a couple of inches to the passenger side to get the driveshaft to run straight. I originally had a narrow track centered 44 in it (right and left axle shafts same length, so the pinion is pushed left), and had compound angles. Not only did the driveshaft run downhill, but it went to the left also. When I built the widetrack 44, I offset the diff 2" to the right, so the driveshaft runs straight. I want to do the same with this 60.

To cut/respline the 60 axles, they have to be a minimum of 4" shorter, because of the way the splines are rolled on. The way it is now, the short side only needs to be about 2" shorter than it is now, but would be perfect for the long side. That's why I asked about moving the tubes.

I had the 44 housing cut, they just removed the "bells" where the bearings sit, then cut the tubes and TIG'd the bells back on. I'm sure it could be done on the 60, but I'm trying to save some bucks and get it in now.

jeepsr4ever
06-07-2004, 02:05 PM
If you have access to a plasma you can easily blow out the part of the tube with the plug welds on it and take the tubes out (with force)

Lifted79CJ7
06-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Yeah MC, you need to do a write up on how to pull the tubes!!! I was watching that one thread where you were pulling the tubes out on a high pinion ?? axle, then you never posted again on that topic. Help us poor little beginners out!!
Jack

Dusty
06-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Mey this one is out in you alls 1/2 of the country. Worth checking into, minus the 327 (im guessing) but the 4spd, D-60 and D44 are all good since they are 5 on 5.5

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2481646439&category=6783

Bulltear Ad