PDA

View Full Version : Timing, etc

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Redemption
05-26-2004, 07:30 AM
ok guys, finally getting around to working on the javelin after being delayed by brothers death, etc. Now I got the front of the engine tore down and everything off, to where the timing chain, etc is exposed. applyed pressure to the chain, moved nearly 1 3/4th inches(surprised it hadnt jumped) so I remove the gears and chain. Now this is where I need abit of help. I didnt mark rotor placement or anything like that when I removed the distributor. I know timing was off anyways before hand so I didnt bother. what I need to know is where do I go from here? how do i make sure the gears and such line up accordingly so that I wont bend the valve stems and such. like I said Im at the point of putting everything back together, just need some assistance with the cam/crank timing, etc.

as far as everything else goes, I got a new fuel pump, water pump, high flow the oil pump, new radiator, sticking with the factory fan(apparently cools better than the flex-lite things) pretty much everything on the external of the engine has been redone.

jeepsr4ever
05-26-2004, 10:45 AM
install the gear so the timing marks are facing each other (gear marks , not keyways) when you are ready to install your dizzy turn the motor over untill you get the timing mark on 8 degrees. next install the dizzy with the cap off and look at where the rotor is faced, next install the cap with the #1 plug wire facing the rotir edge. If your engine doesnt fire when their is gas and it has spark then you are 180 degrees off and all you have to do is take your #1 plug wire and swap it to the other side and time it from their 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 in a clockwise manner around the cap 1-3-5-7 on the drivers side 2-4-6-8 on the passenger side of the motor. Good luck!

Redemption
05-26-2004, 11:00 AM
ah ok. and doing all this will have it so that the timing isnt so far off that I bend a valve stem or damage something else of that nature? sorry for my questions, not a mechanic, first time Ive taken to doing the engine work stuff myself. ;) first time Ive even thought about changing a timing chain and this is the only slow down ive run into.

aslo, about the fuel pump, how does it install back in. It seems simple but that lever that is coming off of it that goes inside the timing cover, seems like it has a certain way it goes into it.

Bulltear Ad