PDA

View Full Version : New style gear setup?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
05-27-2004, 01:26 PM
I was sent this picture this morning about a new oil pump setup

http://jeepsr4ever.imgbay.com/new%20pump.jpg

The midplate appears to be stainless :t:
The gears are aluminum :idea:
It comes with 2 gaskets :t:
It has a stock spring with a adjustable screw :idea:
The gears are longer :idea:

The good: Will increase volume and pressure, wont leak
The bad: over time the aluminum gears become less efficient due to abrasion, if your oil pump cavity is too tight you will bind these gears and cause major distributor gear wear or failure resulting in a scored pump-damaged gears or worn distributor gear. The adjustable spring setup does not change the spring rate and consequentially doesnt change the pressure untill the spring is pushed so far it will not let the plunger kick back to the pressure relief and give you a bloated oil filter or have you oil filter bypass activate allowing dirty oil into your galleys. If the alumunim gears are simply pressed on the drive gear shaft they will expand with heat and the shaft will spin in the gear causing a damaging zero oil pressure and flow situation at running temperature or that slightly higher in the 190-210 range. The longer the gear the more the chatter of the pump. When these long gears were originally tried in the mid eighties a longer idler shaft was used to prevent gear chatter, this kit doesnt come with a longer idler shaft, but with a longer gear. Mid to large size engine builders like Precision engine out of houston texas know fully the issues of pump chatter. We have spent alot of time and money on the AMC oiling tech and found that the only real solution is to start with a good toleranced pump and use clean oil and a good filter. Their are other ways of extending your pumps life such as nickel coating, stainless inserts and higher pressure springs and very effective higher capacity oil pans.

These kind of pieces scare me when I think of oiling in my personal V8's. This kit is being sold as a race kit. I dont see how it could be a race kit as your motor by the end of the track has run hot and thermally expanded the billet aluminum faster than the cast and will cause major problems #-o

Briteblock
05-27-2004, 08:31 PM
knock it off MC...friggen know it all. Just because this setup is junk doesnt mean you have to say all that 8)

jeepsr4ever
05-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Things like this go past skepticism BB, We built alot of aluminum gears and found out the hard way why they simply do not work for longer than 30hrs. I just want people to be aware of some issues that will happen. As far as know it all........heck no I have alot of learning to do....in aerospace 8)

Amc Team
06-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Well Matt,
I see you have found a place to bash my kits once again. What happened to the conversation about You not understanding our kits and you were comming to understand they work? Just cause you spent lots of money and wasted lots of time means it must not be possible right? Well I can tell you from personal experience that our kits really do work and they don't swell up and bind, has the same expansion rate as the timming cover, don't spin on the shaft, the end of the shaft is surated, don't ruin distributor gears, don't wear out faster, they are harder then the powdered iron gears, but they DO increase oil pressure, are more effiecient, and have been in service since the 80's without ANY of the problems you had with your design. And to think you figured out what my kits are all about from a picture.
We have run this same Race kit for years currently in my partner Bill's ( the engineer that designed it )600 hp 401 twisting to 7400 rpms. And it is the ONLY oil mod we use.
Anyone wanting to know more can feel free to contact me between 8 am and 9 pm on my cell.
Davis Martin
Amc Team
860-997-2732

Soylent_Green
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
........heck no I have alot of learning to do....in aerospace 8)

I wondering when jet engines were going to be installed on the golden eagle.......

:-|

Lifted79CJ7
06-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey Davis - Welcome aboard!! Sorry you felt obligated to snap back for getting dissed! Just wondering if you could share more info on your parts? ie - testing numbers, why you used the materials you used, etc? Hey - we're all in this AMC club thing together!

jeepsr4ever
06-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Well Matt,
I see you have found a place to bash my kits once again. What happened to the conversation about You not understanding our kits and you were comming to understand they work? Just cause you spent lots of money and wasted lots of time means it must not be possible right? Well I can tell you from personal experience that our kits really do work and they don't swell up and bind, has the same expansion rate as the timming cover, don't spin on the shaft, the end of the shaft is surated, don't ruin distributor gears, don't wear out faster, they are harder then the powdered iron gears, but they DO increase oil pressure, are more effiecient, and have been in service since the 80's without ANY of the problems you had with your design. And to think you figured out what my kits are all about from a picture.
We have run this same Race kit for years currently in my partner Bill's ( the engineer that designed it )600 hp 401 twisting to 7400 rpms. And it is the ONLY oil mod we use.
Anyone wanting to know more can feel free to contact me between 8 am and 9 pm on my cell.
Davis Martin
Amc Team
860-997-2732

Davis welcome aboard.. If you look at the post date it was a year ago. I have nothing personally bad to say about your kit or the kit AMC Team has built except for our own experience with aluminum gears we made and tested thouroughly in house. Like I mentioned to you WE COULD NOT GET THEM TO WORK. This doesnt mean someone else couldnt. This post from last year shouldnt have been brought up to the top for all to see again and probly would have faded into the archives soon. Do not take offense to the post please Davis. If you would like to start a Q&A you may do that here but their are 15 or so engineers who are members here who dont agree with this type of setup in a AMC V8 (just a heads up :wink: )

Bulltear Ad