PDA

View Full Version : New K&N Oil Filters - Are they worth it?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

dhawker
05-28-2004, 09:04 AM
I was wondering if anyone is using the new K&N oil filters and if they are worth the cost? I like the idea of a hex head on the filter for removal and the ability to hold the oil in your block rather than draining back into the pan. Any thoughts or experiences?

Dalan Hawker

jeepsr4ever
05-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Dalan,

I dont know anything about K&N oil filters. Most filters have a anti drain back feature. The hex on the back is a cool idea! But in the land of oil filters wix reigns supreme...so far

Lifted79CJ7
05-29-2004, 08:25 PM
OK MC, so why have I never heard of Wix? Where do you pick yours up at? Major chains like AutoZone carry them, or do I need to order from somewhere like Summit or Jegs?
Jack

Soylent_Green
05-29-2004, 08:29 PM
you can order WIX oil filters at checker.

in fact I'm pretty sure I have some in stock.

You have to ask for them, cause their usually only sold to commercial customers.

jeepsr4ever
05-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Wix is made by dana and should be available in your area

dhawker
06-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Here is a link to a good read and comparison of oil filters and what makes them tick.

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

P.S. - WIX filters were rated very well.

Dalan

rollen dean montoya
06-02-2004, 06:52 PM
i've never heard of wix filters. not at kragen(checker outside of ca.)
and not at autozone or pep boys. i use motorcraft fl1a in the ford. i think the eagle also takes the same filter. have the eagle serviced at
econolube with castrol 20w50 and the ford with castrol 20w50 or 30w.
both use k&n air filters and they keep the desert out of the engines.
excellent analysis on the oil filers they tested. great info.
later,dog :lo1l:

paddyp
06-18-2004, 09:57 PM
The Napa Gold oil filters are Wix filters.

cherokee
06-28-2004, 04:37 PM
I run K&N fliters on all my stuff, boats, trucks, cars, even atv's, oil and air fliters

radjeeper
04-28-2005, 11:52 PM
Interesting oil filter study, would like to see how the K&N filter shakes out.

Soylent_Green
05-01-2005, 08:22 PM
The deal with the anti-drainback alve is this: Pretty much any filter will have them because, yes, the filter is mounted sideways on the block and the oil would just drain out without it. Some older cars, and many newer vehicles don't need them because they have the oil filter mounted vertically to an aluminium fitting that mounts onto the side of the block and also has the lines for the oil cooler. It actually really nice cause it makes it really easy to get to the filter under a crowded engine bay. and during an oil change you can spin off the filter without spilling oil on the side of your motor.

I know this is probably something that alot of people know, but just puttin' it out there anyway. :t:

Bulltear Ad