PDA

View Full Version : Shocks...your opinions please.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Tin Man
05-31-2004, 08:33 PM
I am close to finishing my install of the RE 4.5" lift on my '85 CJ and will be looking for shocks soon...Along with the RE lift, I am running 35" Xterrains and run the Jeep 60% street 40% mild to serious trails and rocks. I want a shock that works with my suspension to deliver a Caddy like ride on pavement and not inhibit off road performance...your ideas please. When responding with your favorite, please tell a bit about your rig and why yours is the best shock. I know this is a bit of a PITA but everytime I talk to a salesman, all I get is this(insert name of shock the boss told him to sell this week)is best because....I said so. Thanks in advance!

J

Mudrat
06-01-2004, 07:11 PM
I have a new/unused set of SkyJackers's that came with my 3" lift. I went SOA and now they are way to short - might fit you're 4.5" if your not radically flexy ...

But thanks for poseing this question 'cause now I need a full set to go around ...

Mudrat

Tin Man
06-01-2004, 07:22 PM
After I get the lift done, I'll do some measuring and some snooping on the Skyjackers and maybe we'll talk. One guy who runs an early Bronco frame with rear coils and a CJ5 tub swears by the local tire shops private branded gel foam shocks...I don't want to spend a fortune....just want good on road ride with great off road performance...

J

Mudrat
06-01-2004, 07:35 PM
After I get the lift done, I'll do some measuring and some snooping on the Skyjackers and maybe we'll talk. One guy who runs an early Bronco frame with rear coils and a CJ5 tub swears by the local tire shops private branded gel foam shocks...I don't want to spend a fortune....just want good on road ride with great off road performance...

J
Let me know - I thinkl they are 7018 and 7023 and I have a pair of 7028?? Have to look when the suns up ...

Mudrat

Tin Man
06-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Will do :t:

jeepsr4ever
06-02-2004, 02:05 AM
a softer shock is what your looking for

Lifted79CJ7
06-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Sorry guys, I goofed on the 4.5 install comment about shocks!! #-o If you do a lot of prerunning / dessert type stuff go for the remote resivoir. If you do more like rock crawling, then the standard Bilstein 5100's would be ok.
Sorry about that!!
Jack

Bulltear Ad