PDA

View Full Version : Camshafts

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Redemption
06-02-2004, 04:54 AM
ok, since I have the time and abit of extra money towards parts, I figured Id go ahead and replace the stock cam. only problem is, I dont know much about them(willing to learn ;) ). My question to you experts and know-it-all's is, who makes the best, or atleast, who makes one my car wont reject like a bad heart transplant? Car is pretty much stock, and not planning on getting anything over mild performance. going to switch the intake and headers in the future, so that affects cam choice I am sure.

Looking at 2 in perticular at the moment. please let me know if they are bad, or if youve had bad experiences with.

Comp Cams High Energy Camshaft
Summit 8600 camshaft.

looking for one that will work with most factory valvetrain componets. well, thanks for the help.

Redemption
06-02-2004, 09:26 AM
according to a few people, the comp cam I was looking at was only slightly better than the factory one, so that is pretty much out. now its between the summit 8600 and the summit 8601

jeepsr4ever
06-02-2004, 02:51 PM
dare i say 8600

Redemption
06-04-2004, 05:58 AM
eh, your not the first apparently thats had problems out of the summit, as someone mentioned in another post, some have had the same problems(mentioned on the amc forums) so im gonna stay away from summit. basically that leaves me with:

Comp cams
Edelbrock(interested in these)
Crower
and finally Lunati.

any experiences with these?

Lifted79CJ7
06-04-2004, 09:03 PM
I am putting the edelbrock in my 401 when I actually get the funds to finish it. I also had one in my 304 and it made a little bit of difference. I grabbed that and the double roller timing chain of theirs and called it a day. I like the brain dead installation markings that they provide for advancing or retarding. I have heard that they aren't really much better than stock for a 401. I've never compared specs, though.
Just my .02
Jack

Elliott
06-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Lunati has a top cam designer working for them, don't just leave out Howard, Crane or especially Reed. Reed has been part of AMC racing motors since darn near day one.
Maybe it's because there are more Summit cams floating around... but it seems that 8 out of 10 cam related engine failures have something to do with Summit from what all I've been reading over the last year. I'm not a fan of box cams in the first place and any cam grinder that sells you the same grind for a 360 as a longer stroke 401 should be viewed with some suspicion.
Good info on cams and history is available directly from The Cam Man at: http://www.harveycrane.com/

Bulltear Ad