PDA

View Full Version : Fenderwell Exhaust/Headers?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rollbar
06-05-2004, 05:14 PM
1980 CJ5.
On my daughters Jeep w/the 360 the t-case is a drivers side drop
so the Headman header on the drivers side dumps out right in front of the t-case (12" or so), then you have the drive shaft issues also which it clears by about 3", not flexed.

Question is: will the fenderwell header solve this problem as well as the STEERING shaft being in the way.
These are new but I can use them on the other 360 that I'll trade for a 258, GAS prices, :rant:

Trailbst
06-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I have fenderwell headers on my V-6 in my Jeep, and I don't like them. Like any header they always come loose. Plus the headers are right under my feet and make them hot and they are just more stuff hanging outside the frame rails. When I come up with a good solution, my headers will be gone.

Just my two cents.

Erik

jhill51
07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Have you taken a look at the Edelbrock shorties?

tufcj
07-26-2004, 02:58 PM
What's the drivetrain out of? All CJs up to 86 had a passenger side front shaft. The transplanted drivetrain may be part of the problem.

I had fenderwell headers on my CJ. If you go that way, get coated ones, as the splash off the front tires tends to rust the collectors and mufflers quickly. They do clear the steering shaft (they drop below it). You do have to cut the horizontal "tails" off the inner fenders. I was replacing cheap headers about every other year. Noise and heat is also a problem. If you 4-wheel, the exposed mufflers also get dented or torn off easily.

I had to go back to factory manifolds because of smog, but had a 3" single system built. With a free flow cat and 3" turbo muffler, it sounds great, and I haven't noticed any loss of performance. They say the 71-up free flow exhaust manifolds flow about 90% of what a header does anyway.

Bob.

rollbar
07-26-2004, 03:41 PM
The drive train is a Waggy D-44 D/S drop. I'm gonna do some more research on it for my CJ8 due to the fact I'm putting her 360 & tranny in it, because my daughter said she wants to sell it now :shock: .

80' CJ5 tub & frame w/smitty built front/rear bumpers; classIII tow hitch; front axle come w/it & it has a spare front axle also.
$650.00 Tub; $700.00 frame (excellent shape).

Bulltear Ad