PDA

View Full Version : cam gear

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MADMAX401
06-10-2004, 12:22 PM
I INSTALLED A NEW GEAR ON THE CAM AND INSTALLED A NEW HEI DISTRIBOTOR WITH NEW GEAR, IN A COMPLETLY REBUILT 401,RAN FOR ABOUT 25 MINUTES,CHEWED UP THE CAM GEAR!
what is the problem,

mark :(:

pyagid
06-10-2004, 01:15 PM
is the cam new? If it was ground improperly or it is an older cam you could be getting cam walk.

MC just had this happen to his 401 it was not in a matter of 25 minutes but it did happen.

-paul

jeepsr4ever
06-10-2004, 05:37 PM
I had a bad cam, gear destruction can be attributed to:

1. Bad or misaligned oil grooves
2. Bad gears
3. Mismatching used and new cam and dizzy gears
4. Tapered hole for the oil pump drive gear shaft
5. Oil pump binding
5. Cam walk

I have seen these all over the board with mismatch the most common problem. If you install one new gear and use the other in used condition you are more likely to chip a gear tooth as ot tries to set a wear pattern. I am curious as to what really happend, have you taken the cover off yet?

MADMAX401
06-10-2004, 08:10 PM
I PULLED THE FRONT COVER AND THE CAM GEAR IS CHEWED UP,
THE DISTRIBUTOR GEAR STILL LOOKS NEW,I THINK IT WAS THE OMIX-ADA ,INC. CAM GEAR PART NUMBER-4486635 I USED, I SHOULD OF USED MOPAR PARTS!
WHAT DID YOU DO ABOUT THE METAL IN YOUR OILING SYSTEM?
MY ENGINE HAS A FILTER MAG ON THE FILTER,YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE METAL THAT THE FILTER MAG COLLECTED IN THE OIL FILTER.
I CUT THE FILTER OPEN AND IT WAS FULL OF METAL PARTICALS THAT THE FILTER MAG CONTAINED IN THE FILTER.
HOW DID YOU FIGURE OUT YOUR CAM WAS BAD?
I AM USING A COMP CAMS 280 MAGNUM CAM.

THANK YOU MARK :(:

jeepsr4ever
06-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I run nickel coated timing cover on all my AMC V8's so I didnt even get a scratch. The cam was bad becasue it walked forward! Hydralic cams donta walk if they are good, the lifters keep them in place. Basically A camshaft problem....new bearings and Im off to the races :mrgreen:

rollen dean montoya
06-10-2004, 11:06 PM
i remember dad showing me the same thing years ago but on a mopar
400. new distributor, gear but old cam. luck had it that dad heard something and shut down after 2 minutes. he heard a pop and killed the motor. it backfired thru the carb so dad pulled the distributor to see the teeth chewed. used the old gear off discarded unit and problem went away.
later, jedi dog :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad