PDA

View Full Version : 96 Grand buildup?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Soylent_Green
06-13-2004, 07:21 PM
My sister-in-law has just smoked the trans in her grand cherokee.

It's got the 6, not the 318, but it's a write off, apparently she's one of those who doesn't know that you're suppose change your oil.

EVER! :shock:

so, the question is, should I buy it from her cheap and sell it, part it out, or build it?

It's got new brakes all the way around, no rust, and as far as I know it hasn't been off road ever. It's been a commuter car all it's life.

so, what should I do here? it would be a shame to let the thing go to the bone yard, so I've got to do something. :-|

pyagid
06-14-2004, 07:20 AM
I said build it. I love the looks of built Grand Cherokees.
But if you decide against that you could ship it out to CT to me :lo1l:

http://www.jonfund.com/albums/album10/trailpig2.jpg

-Paul

Tigger
06-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Build it.... if it just a trans replace it..... if the motor needs a rebuild Stroke it to a 4.7L.

rollen dean montoya
06-14-2004, 10:58 AM
i agree with pyagid and tigger. have the tranny gone thru then stroke the
motor. break the motor down, have it boiled for 3 days to clean all
the passages.
have fun! later,rollen

jeepsr4ever
06-14-2004, 01:35 PM
While boiling add potato's peas and carrots and let simmer for 15mn on low :mrgreen: =D> 111!!!

rollen dean montoya
06-14-2004, 03:23 PM
no mc. not that kind of boiling #-o it would be of the hot tank variety :t:
i do this before each engine rebuild. this way i don't have oiling problems
like some people have had 8) #-o
later, rollen :lo1l:

Mudrat
06-14-2004, 08:16 PM
OUCH!!!! :lo1l:

Do you cook it or do you let the shop handle that? You should have seen the sludge in the pan of the YJ when it came off at LEAST a 1/2 inch of crap in there!!!!

Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
06-14-2004, 09:02 PM
So how do you know when the block is done? do you throiw it against a wall and if it sticks its done :mrgreen:

Soylent_Green
06-14-2004, 10:30 PM
I was told that a TF727 has the same case as the trans that jeep used in these things. Is this true? If so, couldn't I swap one of those in and have a much stronger trans? (minus O.D)

rollen dean montoya
06-14-2004, 11:45 PM
well after 3 days in the hot tank there is no sludge,grease, dirt, or
any other foriegn objects that could kill the rebuild job. i take my engine blocks, heads, and intakes to white automotive in la habra ca. dad
started out as the owners 1st mechanic at age 14.
no mudrat, not ouch but double ouch!
later,rollen :lo1l:

Lifted79CJ7
06-15-2004, 08:43 AM
I was told that a TF727 has the same case as the trans that jeep used in these things. Is this true? If so, couldn't I swap one of those in and have a much stronger trans? (minus O.D)

I know that Chrysler did make an overdrive version of the 727, but not sure if it uses the same type case or not. I know that the pan is deeper, a good candidate to swap into a TF727 vehicle for extra oil capacity. The regular 727 will mate up with the 4.0, but I believe you will need a tranny to tcase adapter for it. OK, I just looked it up. That thing has a 42RE transmission.

http://www.jeeptech.com/wiki/index.php/Transmission/Factory

http://www.jeeptech.com/wiki/index.php/Transmission/Conversion/TF727

Hope this helps,
Jack

rollbar
06-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Sell it & get a CJ, :? :mrgreen: :razz:

Bulltear Ad