PDA

View Full Version : a cam plug for AMC V8's whats going on!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeepsr4ever
06-14-2004, 02:38 PM
After constant battering from AMC fans who are sick of cam walk at high RPM's but cant afford much we will be making a cam plug that will ensure a proper cam placement.

Made out of UHMW with twice the impact strength of acetate (delrin) these cam plugs will come with a cam bolt and instructions on how to set it up...simple bolt on really.

A Cam plug is a neccesary piece if you run a roller cam or your lifters arent holding the camshaft in place (Like my latest 401..roasted after 2hrs of zero oil pressure cause by cam walk. :!: ) You can do every possible mod to your engine to get the right oil to the right area but if that camshaft walks you ruin

your bearings
your cam gear and distributor gear
your oil pump cavity
score your cam and crank

More as we finish the prototypes

Tigger
06-14-2004, 08:22 PM
well 'bout time, just have them done by the time I am putting the cam in ok?

jeepsr4ever
06-14-2004, 09:02 PM
:sa:

Lifted79CJ7
06-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Sweet! So when do you think is an ETA for the release?
Jack

jeepsr4ever
06-15-2004, 10:39 AM
soon maybe 2 weeks

Lifted79CJ7
06-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I was watching HorsePower TV today and they were showing a 708ci chevy based aluminum block engine that had tapered roller bearings for use on the cam - pretty sick setup.
Jack

FrankNB
07-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Are these available yet?

jeepsr4ever
07-06-2004, 01:06 PM
We are doing the final dimensions tomorrow evening and then friday these will be trickling out.

MADMAX401
07-08-2004, 11:14 AM
MATT
WHAT WILL THIS CAM PLUG DO FOR THE ENGINE?
IS THIS A ANTI WALK CAM KIT,CAN IT BE INSTALLED WITH OUT MACHINING YOUR TOP TIMING GEAR?

MARK #-o

jeepsr4ever
07-08-2004, 02:14 PM
this can be installed without machining or making ANY changes

FSJnovice
07-08-2004, 06:35 PM
yeah! more new parts, by the time I get ready to repair my vehicle I will be able to use all new parts bow to stern and port to starboard.

Mudrat
07-11-2004, 08:05 PM
I gotta get a V-8 first. WAIT I'm gunna WIN one in about 6 weeks :? I want that as an option MC :wink:

Mudrat

bigun
07-11-2004, 11:37 PM
I gotta get a V-8 first. WAIT I'm gunna WIN one in about 6 weeks :? I want that as an option MC :wink:

Mudrat

Wht makes you so sure that you'll win??? :razz: :razz:

Mudrat
07-12-2004, 04:52 AM
Mudrat

I'm a graduate of the "Power of Positve Thinking" group :lo1l: :? Gotta believe in something right :t: ??

Mudrat

bigun
07-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Mudrat

I'm a graduate of the "Power of Positve Thinking" group :lo1l: :? Gotta believe in something right :t: ??

Mudrat

As Bill Cosby said in Noah and the ark "RIIGHHT"

Mudrat
07-12-2004, 01:58 PM

I'm a graduate of the "Power of Positve Thinking" group :lo1l: :?
Gotta believe in something right :t: ??
Mudrat
As Bill Cosby said in Noah and the ark "RIIGHHT"
Right now as part of a bad Monday - I'm outta work until the contract people get their act together and I have somethng to work on... :smile:

So, in keeping with my previous statement I think I'll have another beer :razz:

Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
07-12-2004, 03:59 PM
111!!!

:mrgreen:

Mudrat
07-12-2004, 04:41 PM
111!!!

:mrgreen:
So MC, is that floor sweeping job still open??

Mudrat

MADMAX401
07-13-2004, 02:20 PM
are the cam plugs for sale ?if they are what is the price with shipping to zipcode 15478.

thank you MARK #-o

Briteblock
07-13-2004, 02:24 PM
MC has got other crap in front of these. Although they have made 2 that work! 111!!!

=D> :mrgreen:

jeepsr4ever
07-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Someone else makes these

http://www.amracing.com/whatwedo/manupart.html

However

these are a one size fits all , after talking with Randy from performanceamstyle.com and tossing it around a bit with measurements we found a one size fits all doesnt help....every run of timing covers has the timing cover cam landing at different heights. This sadly...doesnt solve anything

MADMAX401
07-22-2004, 03:28 PM
MATT

IS THIS WHAT YOU ARE CALLING A CAM PLUG,THE CAM BUTTON FROM AM RACING,I BOUGHT ONE OF THEM AND YOU HAVE TO FILE OR GRIND THE PLASTIC BUTTON TO GET THE CLEARENCE THAT THEY TELL YOU TO GET WITH THE KIT.

I MADE ONE TODAY OUT OF BILLET ALUMINUM,IT ONLY TOOK ME ABOUT TWO HOURS WITH ONLY HAND TOOLS.

I THOUGHT YOU WERE MAKING ONE LIKE THEY USE ON THE CHEBBYS,

ANOTHER THOUGHT WOULD BE TO MAKE A CAM THRUST PLATE WITH TORRINGTON BEARINGS THAT BOLTS ON WITH TWO LITTLE BOLTS,LIKE THE NICK ALFANO ANTI WALK TIMING KITS,EXCEPT MAKE THE CAM THRUST PLATE SO YOU CAN USE ANY TIMING CHAIN YOU WANT TO USE.

MARK #-o [/img]

jeepsr4ever
07-22-2004, 03:41 PM
The plug we are making is a plastic plug that has a retention spring and is the cam bolt itself. The problem we are running into is the fact that the spring must be held by somekind of retention device, most likely a keywayed sleeve to take the thrust of the plastic rubbing on the timing cover so the spring doesnt unwind. That is the final step in this and after we discover how to make that we will be off with a one size fits all piece, the problem with what you are doing is that even though your running a nickel pump (actually it may be ok) you are running aluminum on nickel, which will last a long time but may fail after several hundred thousand turns....but that nickel will hold up extremely well....hmm that may actually be the solution you need, I would polish the end of the button you made

MADMAX401
08-07-2004, 02:29 PM
ANY UPDATES ON THE CAM BUTTONS,I AM GOING TO INSTALL THE ALUMINUM ONE I MADE ON THE 401 BUT I WOULD STILL BE INTERESTED
IN THE CAM BUTTONS. :!:

MARK

jeepsr4ever
08-07-2004, 03:20 PM
I dont know..we are at 110% capacity with some of these projects and with some of the bigger names in motorsports knocking on my door....eating my good time it is slowing the finished products. I have 24 hrs of machining to do before monday and with 1.5 guys this weekend it will eat my weekend....

This weeks scheduling is extremely tight with prototypes for other companies being completed. I know you guys want this button asap..consider it as a band aid in a hydralic situation though.

Mark you are one of 12 that are hot on my tail to get this done...believe me when I say I am thinking about your request...almost hourly :mrgreen:

Bulltear Ad