PDA

View Full Version : OD for Q-trac

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

j vegas
06-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Hey everybody, I just came over from IFSJA after meeting MC and Mudrat at the East Coast Invasion, a couple of real decent guys. Too bad I missed out on the brew!

Here's my situation. I'm thinking about a diesel swap into a FSJ. My only (foreseen) problem is the RPMs. Even with 35's, I calculated that I would need gears in the 2.5:1 range. No thanks! So there goes my th400.

My question is, how similar to a 400 is a 4L80? Similar enough to bolt up to the QT adapter? I think probably. Similar enough to swap in the OP shaft for the QT? I doubt it, but would like to know for sure.

jeepsr4ever
06-17-2004, 04:58 PM
The mainshafts are different as well as the bolt pattern to T-case...got me thinking though.

Where you the one who gave us a ride?

OH yeah and welcome aboard!!! :t:

j vegas
06-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks MC. Nope, you walked over during the group photo and talked to me and PaddyP in front of his all white waggie. We came over to your campsite just as you were leaving. We would have given you a ride, but you would have had to share a seat with Arnie, the uber-friendly collie.

What do you mean got you thinking? Thinking as in a custom adapter and tailshaft for other trannies into the QT? What kind of $$$ would that be? That would make me really decide how much I like my QT! But, in the end it still might be cheaper to go that route with a cheaper upgraded 6.2, than to invest in a 4bt that wouldn't mind the rpms so much.

Keep me informed of any ideas you might come up with, ok.

jeepsr4ever
06-17-2004, 07:40 PM
It got me thinking about a adaptor..BUT...its a long shot and probly not worth it, you could have a dana 60 rear with a dana 20 case instead for cheaper than I could make the adaptors

SomeHumanBeing
08-11-2004, 08:45 PM
I have had diesel thoughts too. I like the Duramax, but after doing some reserch, I gave up the idea and started investagating a Chevy Big Block transplant. I've seen lots of kits that allow you to install Chevy Big Blocks into Full Size jeeps, and I know how to adapt the Chevy TH400 to work with the QT 1339 transfer case, (take the Jeeps output shaft and install in Chevy Th-400, not too hard) but near as I can tell, if you want Diesel power, break out the welder and kiss your transfer case goodbye! All in all, the easiest and simplest hot-rod FSJ powertrain package, that will retain the Quadra Track transfer case, is a Chevy 502 HD, with a GM K-case TH-400 fitted with the TH475's gear set. Then, I'm sorry to say, if you gotta have an OD, Gear Vendors gets my nod.

Bulltear Ad