PDA

View Full Version : Terrain

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
06-18-2004, 07:30 PM
What kind of terrain are you building your jeep to crawl?

Trailbst and I live in New England, we have a lot of mixed rockwork/mud. Some trails are fairly dry until we get a day of rain then it is almost like wheeling in a stream. And could make it very difficult even though the obstacle may not be to big.

what do you guys have?

80 J-10
06-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Not to many rocks down here in Florida, but, ,we do have walls to climb and ditch embankments :mrgreen:

Mudrat
06-20-2004, 07:20 PM
And "Sugar Sand"!!! Man, I couldn't believe how soft and trecherous that stuff is!! Had a great time at the FL Jeepers camp-out though :-)

Mudrat

bigun
06-21-2004, 07:23 AM
It depends on where we go; Aroyos you can get hard sand, soft sand, mud, small rock fields, and boulders. We have one canyon called sand canyon which just a fun trail run it gets you out of the site of most civilisation for a couple of hours. We have Barts trail which is rock water falls none ove 2 feet in drop but is fun to take a few hours to play on and the nice thing about it is that if you break it is less than a 1/2 mile back to the house. Then there are all the trails you have seen on the videos we havn't run any of them yet, most of us started building our rigs for those few storms in the winter that pile the snow in, so that with out a well preped 4X4 we can't make it out to the main hwy. which for me is about 2 miles of dirt road which turns in to greasy mud when wet

Mudrat
06-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Bigun - I dig NM trails, and AZ and CO and TX. Done some, but want MORE!!!! Rocks and Aroyos are way different than sugar sand though. I was really surprised at how quick you can get in trouble. No kidding! Even a wash after a big rain was nothing like this dry stuff. Wild!!

Mudrat
Looking to take the family to Big Bend in TX next summer :?

bigun
06-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Sister and Brother in law live in Kermit Tx. my crawling partner's younger brother and my neice were an item he towed the honcho tuff truck down for a week end in the sand he showed up with his swampers, roll cage, and built 401. All the sand guys told him the swampers were to hard to run in the sand. Till the clutch packed up he spent the week end out running the four wheeler motor cycles and a couple of sand buggies. I have tried to find pics but they seem to be lost in the ether. What happened is former owner was running it as a tuff truck when the frame broke so my buddy and ace fabricator Black Bart used a chevy blazer frame and the honchos running gear to fabricate a center drive single seat truck.

Mudrat
06-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Sounds cool!!! Find the pics :?

Mudrat

amc258
07-13-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm building mine for the Rubicon, it's only 80 miles from here, plus there's some wicked slabs up in the hills within 30 miles from here :t:

Whitelighting
09-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I live in the northern sierra's, I'm about 15 min. away from some reasonably tough rock crawling runs. In the spring we run up high in the snow melt and the summer and fall we do rock crawling, Rubincon, Fordyce trail and local rock crawling runs.

Kent

Mudrat
09-02-2004, 04:42 AM
I envy you guys, it's 3 hours to get to anything legal to 4Wheel and then you have the rest of the state there too :(:

Mudrat

rollen dean montoya
09-23-2004, 07:03 PM
i go to big bear, calico mountains, stoddard valley ohv area, johnson valley ohv area, glamis, dumont dunes , death valley, ocotillo wells.
gotta love living in california. can play all year long!!!!
later, rollen :lo1l:

Mudrat
09-24-2004, 06:11 PM
i go to big bear, calico mountains, stoddard valley ohv area, johnson valley ohv area, glamis, dumont dunes , death valley, ocotillo wells.
gotta love living in california. can play all year long!!!!
Done Glamis and Ocotillo wells, and some other sandy areas in the world - like Saudi
http://members.cox.net/mudrat/posted%20pics/dunes%20the%20final%20frontier.jpg

And Oman

http://members.cox.net/mudrat/posted%20pics/dunes%20at%20sunset.jpg

Mud

rollen dean montoya
09-27-2004, 08:37 PM
sweeettttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Dusty
09-28-2004, 09:15 AM
An i thought ST george.... Rexburg Idaho sand dunes were cool. I wouldnt know what to do in the saudi.

Mud you just need to suck it up and drive all the way across country and come try Fordyce ect. :lo1l:

I'm trying to setup for all around. Fordyce, Rubicon, Barret........... And future plans include..... Mexico Baja excursion...... Alaska Back country trip........ Nevada Desert and Ghost towns exploring.... Sand mountain a few times too.

To name a few on the agenda over the next 5 years or so.

I think my only ooops was putting a 401 in instead of a diesel, i dont know if i can carry enough fuel for those 6-7 day excursions.

rollen dean montoya
09-28-2004, 03:45 PM
my girls want to go camping at zion park. got to get the eagle ready for that. roached the left front tire at stoddard valley saturday :mrgreen:
was on race course "B" when it said"A.M.F." at 50 mph!

Mudrat
09-28-2004, 04:14 PM
An i thought ST george.... Rexburg Idaho sand dunes were cool. I wouldnt know what to do in the saudi.

Mud you just need to suck it up and drive all the way across country and come try Fordyce ect. :lo1l:
WELL ... that was part of the original plan. I do my 30 and retire. Drag the kids around the country in a motor home dragg'n the Jeeps, and see the great places we have (to 4wheel :? ) and the wife would work until she can retire -and meet us in places that the airline stopped at (not many airstrips in the middle of nowhere for a 737 though :? :lo1l: But since she got KO'd at an intersection in 98 she hasn't been 8) able to fly (do to physical impairement) and so I'm back at work to make the $$$ to get the kids started in college, buy parts and well ... The rest is up to them.

Mudrat

Dusty
09-28-2004, 04:23 PM
If You do decide to come out i'll put together my old school local group of 3-5 jeeps and meet you up there. :lo1l:

sorry to hear the rest. Soon enough you'll be able to hit the trails out west here.

Don't work too hard

Mudrat
09-28-2004, 04:34 PM
If You do decide to come out i'll put together my old school local group of 3-5 jeeps and meet you up there. :lo1l:

sorry to hear the rest. Soon enough you'll be able to hit the trails out west here.

Don't work too hard
Well it's not all bad. Daughter won 3 for 3 in her game and gots de'm black eyed peas 'n ham hocks cook'n to go with the ham steaks and baked potatoes :? :lo1l: =D>

Pat

Dusty
09-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Well if you do get out here, with the wife and kids you might get the unfortunate privilage to try my Camp Prime Rib (Rump roast in garlic and pepper costume) in the Dutchoven it is getting hard to pull off when we keep rolling into camp at 8pm. Im thinking more manifold Burritos are the answer on most of the trips.

:? Next year baby. Im counting the days till she is together and then the snow melts so i can start figuring out how this animal is going to handle. 111!!! Then you'll really get a good laugh watching me learn all over again :?:

rollen dean montoya
09-28-2004, 05:35 PM
hell i'm still sorting out the eagle #-o dusty, by the time you get the driving figured out i just might have learned how to be alittle more careful with the eagle. then mudrat can get a good laff at our expense :mrgreen:

Bulltear Ad