PDA

View Full Version : AMC V-8 Vs. torque converter pilot

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

sprocket
06-23-2004, 11:21 AM
OK, here's the story... I have 2 out of 4 of my V-8's out of the vehicle, and they both have "bushings" in the back of the crankshaft where the torque converter pilot goes.

One is a 360 the other is a 401 and both were originally T400xQ-trac

One of these "bushings" is in need of replacement

No, i'm not confusing this with a pilot bushing for a manual trans!

I've asked around and I can't seem to find any info on this...are they all like that? ...can I buy the part somwhere? ...Am I smoking crack?...

Eric

tufcj
06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
They did use a bushing for the GM TH400 converter. The cranks were machined to fit a Chrysler Torqueflight without a bushing. I would say it's probably a dealer only item, if they still carry them.

jeepsr4ever
06-23-2004, 01:29 PM
most cranks except for those from early manual AMC cars had the same size crank hole, some had bushings for the th400...sorry I am not really that anal aobut the figures I just thought I would clarify, tufcj :mrgreen:

If you cant find any give me dimensions and I will make you one...but you will need to be accurate on....wait I probly got one laying around...pm me

fuzz401
07-02-2004, 09:10 AM
i beleave they are no longer around through the dealer theey were used with the th-400 only a 727 it has to be removed or the converter will take out the front pump

sprocket
07-04-2004, 12:07 PM
My post from Pirate4x4...

"1. Advance adapters was a no go on the stock part in question.

2. Turns out I had let this project sit for too long and I'd forgotten that the Waggy this motor was going into had the early style T400 with the cast iron adapter on the front of it. So when this factory adapter is used it gets a spacer under the flexplate that creates a new converter pilot. Problem solved for now, untill I swap the trans, then I start over

3. the flexplate spacer is made of cast iron and it's soft, so dont get too aggressive when trying to remove it."

I can see the T400 vs. 727 thing, but didn't the T400 come first? Sorry for my ignorance on AMC cars, but IIRC the T400 was the first installed in FSJ's, then the 727 came later.

Eric

jeepsr4ever
07-04-2004, 01:05 PM
In 1967 the first th400 was used in FSJ's

sprocket
07-05-2004, 07:52 PM
I'll agree for lack of other info ...when was the first TF727 used behind a AMC V-8? car or truck? or is it just a coincidence that the TF727 uses the same pilot dia. as a previous auto trans...Borg Warner????

Eric

jeepsr4ever
07-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Eric here are some facts

1. 727 was used in the early 70's in AMC cars
2. the th400 was used in the mid sixties
3. they do not share the same crank spud size
4. the adaptor from the block to bellhousing and the crank spacer are different parts than the crank bushing
5. last year of the steel cast adaptors was 73'
6. using a crank with a spacer/bushing in it and installing a tranny with a larger than bushing outside diameter will crush the pump on install.
7. 80% of the time installing a th400 without a crank bushing doesnt cause any problems, the holes for the flexplate align the torque converter
8. AMC converters (th400) used a larger bolt size than a chevy converter
9. Mopar fans call the AMC 727 the "bastard 727" because the ring gear wasnt a part of the converter
10 A 727 doesnt last 20mn in a jeep/car without the kickdown hooked up properly even if its a recent overhaul.

Bulltear Ad