PDA

View Full Version : very broken?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

mrtazwrench
06-23-2004, 07:55 PM
the 360 in my wag started running rough on the way home, :(: it has noise that i think from the rocker pivots, has have since i bought it, i have not had a chance to look at it yet, what has me concerned though is that it is somking, so i don't think it's just valves, if anyone knows different let me know.
:-| thanks

i think a free 401 would fix it! :shock:

JMSII
06-24-2004, 09:00 AM
A while back the 401 in my CJ-7 made a series of metallic noises and started smoking very heavily. I was lucky to get home.

When I tore it down, I found out that I had 7 burnt valves and on #5 I had sucked the whole valve seat into the combustion chamber. (Thus the rather loud noises)

It beat the hell out of the top of the piston but didn't leave a mark on the cylinder wall. I found what was left of the seat along with the pieces of the other valves in the oil pan.

After inspecting the other head I found out that a couple of other valve seats were "on the move" as well.

I was amazed that that engine got me home (48 miles in stop and go traffic!)

The Lord smiles on Jeepers!

JMSII
06-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Oh, one more thing....

You ARE right, a 401 WILL fix it!

Remember, size DOES matter and "there's no substitute for cubic inches!

Just my two-cent's worth!

mrtazwrench
06-24-2004, 11:33 AM
i have another wag comming that is supose to have a good motor, but has not run in 3 years, going to get it running before i swap it to see how it runs. :mrgreen:

mrtazwrench
06-24-2004, 04:18 PM
just did a quick check, looks like rear 2 cyls on pass side dead, have not had time to do comp test or leakdown yet, hope to this weekend. :-|

rollen dean montoya
06-24-2004, 06:52 PM
sounds like either rings or valve guides. just my 2 cents worth.
and there is no replacement for displacement :mrgreen: :?
later, rollen :lo1l:

mrtazwrench
06-24-2004, 07:54 PM
hay rollen, got one in at work you'd like, eagle sx4, don't know what it's in for, just a suprise to see one up here in rust country. :-|

rollen dean montoya
06-25-2004, 03:46 PM
yea it is. but every time i visit my dad in rathdrum id. i see eagles all
over the place. all running with little or no rust. is it a 4 or 6 cyl?
did you find out what happened to your motor? later, rollen :lo1l:

mrtazwrench
06-26-2004, 08:09 PM
tore it down last night, checked comp, found #8 dead, broken int pushrod on that cyl, most other int pushrods bent, dspo said he put a timing chain in it so i think when the old one went is when they got bent. :-|

Bulltear Ad